Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.
30970729

A website I used over the last several months has accused me

Customer Question

A website I used over the last several months has accused me of having two accounts, which they don't allow, because they say another poster has the same IP address as mine. (They say they found other similarities to support this, such as we have "similar posting styles" and both started and stopped posting around the same dates, but I know you can't help with that.) I am absolutely NOT this other person and have no idea who it is. I have posted in maybe five threads over several months. The other person only posted in one thread, not connected to any of the threads I took part in. I am positive nothing has sent from my laptop or cell phone by anybody but me, using my single account name. I have no other computers, network, or anything connected to either my laptop or cell phone. I connect to the internet only by using my cell phone's hot spot and my carrier is T-Mobile, if any of that matters. The mods at that site suggest I have created what they call a "sock puppet" account and that I am lying when I deny it. How can I prove I am not this other poster and his post came from a different computer? Can there be mistakes in the process of collecting IP numbers? I am honest to a fault and really hate having my integrity questioned. Thank you for any help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Another user could 'fake' their IP address information.

This is very easy to do - see: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-mask-yourself-online-use-a-fake-ip-address/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware it can be faked. My question was, how can I PROVE that the other person's posts were not mine.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The presence or absence of log files on the PC will help prove a case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a little frustrated by your lack of detail. What do the log files show? Can you explain how I can retrieve those? Can I print them out and email them to the site moderators? Would it be definitive proof that the other person's messages did not come from my computer?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

There are many types of logs that can be set up on your computer.

For example, when a new IP is obtained it will show up in the Event Viewer.

If you have an internet log set up, it will show every site you accessed and when.

Some routers will also log IP activity through them.

You can print out a log and forward to the site moderators, however the logs can also be manipulated by someone who knows how to do this, so you should check first with the site's moderators what type of logs they might accept as proof that you did not make the posts.