Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I am having trouble with windows upgrade on windows7 I have

Customer Question

I am having trouble with windows upgrade on windows7 I have tried the maintanance program resetting bits etc. but keep getting error message###-##-#### ***** you able to help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

So I can help you, I need to ask you some questions first..

1. How long ago did windows update stop working on your computer?
  2. Have you ran a virus scan lately, or had to remove any viruses?
  3. Has your computer crashed, or had any other issues before or around when the problem started?

Thank you in advance for your patience, and response.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been troubled off and on for a couple of weeks and i think it is causing problems with my Emai. I run malaware and PCcleaner quite frequently. When trying to use windows update and many times on the internet my PC freezes up
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Windows updates issues can be difficult to fix at times, considering that the windows update engine is an integral part of the windows operating system.

Sometimes, its easier to do a system restore. Please note that a system restore isnt the same as reinstalling windows. With a system restore you wont lose any pictures, music, files. And the only programs you would lose would be programs you installed after the restore date we choose. And if we dont like what the system restore does, we can undo the restore and put the computer back just like it is now, by clicking undo restore.

So lets try this as a first repair attempt. As its an effective repair that has little downside.

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier point, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started.. To be safe, go back a couple of days before you think the problem started. Or even a week.

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart.

Then, try opening and running windows update and see if it can check for and download updates. Let me know the results when you can. And whether this works or not please send a reply so that I can either continue to assist you, or so we can mark this issue as resolved.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, The system restore did not work. Also I did mention that I had an online company try to fix it they did several things including CHKDSK. That does not appear to have helped. I am not too computer savvy so that is why it is taking me so long to respond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, Are you still there? If you are able to continue email me, if not, thanks for your help
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood. And I just seen your phone call request. While waiting for y our reply I had to take a call from another client which just finished..

Would you still like to speak over the phone? Or maybe I can connect to your computer and try to resolve the issue personally.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, I did reply to you around 5:oo pm est.. I frst asked you for a phone that you requested on 10/14. On 10/15 I gave you permission to connect to my pc. Right now it is 11:30 pm est and too late to do anything, but if you can tell me when you will be available tomorrow 10/16 and if I can contact you directly that would be helpful
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Your reply at 229 am this morning ( the 16th ) is the first reply I have seen from you since Oct 14th.. If you sent a message yesterday, it didnt go through.

With that being said.. Im available for the next few hours, till around noon EST. And then I will be available again from around 630 pm ESt till 1030 pm EST today. If it needs to be another day let me know.