Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I am having trouble downloading Internet Explorer 11 on my

Customer Question

I am having trouble downloading Internet Explorer 11 on my computer. I have Windows 7 and Microsoft's automatic updates for the Service Pack 1 failes to update everytime it tries to update or install the Service Pack 1. I am lost as to what to do? I read that the Service Pack 1 is necessary for the Internet Explorer 11to download correctly on my computer. The current version of Internet Explorer is 9. Websites are telling me I need to update this. I think I have enough spaceon mycomputer for this but not sure.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. You can download it separately rather than trying it through Windows updates. Would you like to give that a try?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

In case you haven't resolved your problem, here is the LINK to directly download IE 11 64bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried downloading directly, and when it is done downloading, I restart my computer, and check the IE version, and it is still 9. I read in the troubleshooting the IE 11will not download if I do not have the Service Pack 1 update on my computer. In the automatic updates, is shows that the SP1 failed everytime. The trouble shooting suggested to check computer storage/or capacity. I believe there is sufficient capacity. Not sure what the problem is. Do I have to stay with IE if I have Microsoft Window 7 or can I change to Google Chrome, or something else?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You most certainly can use any browser you like. Internet Explorer is written directly into the Windows operating system, so that is why it is always in the shadows. You can download Chrome HERE, and FireFox HERE. If you would like to continue with IE, I can provide you with a link to download service pack one and install it off line. Let me know please if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please provide me the link to download Service Pack 1 off line. I will give that a try.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Make sure you click the green download button.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any luck with the service pack download?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, We had as unexpected problem and left town for a few days. I ran the SP1 program today and when it was done downloading there was an error message "program not compatible with the version of windows running" check to see if x86(32-bit )or x64(64-bit)needed. I looked on my computer information and I have 515 of 584GB free- 64 bit operting - Anthlon IIx4 620 processor. Also then I got another program that was trying to intall, and McAfee warned me of unprotected items.
I am just not sure at this time if what you sent me even worked. Sorry
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That service pack is compatible for either but may be an older version. Go to this LINK and try with this one. It is the most current service pack release from Microsoft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I contacted Microsoft again, and HP and was able to finally get the Service Pack to update on my computer, then was able to download IE11. Believe I am all set. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Good! Glad we finally got it working!!