toughguy
toughguy, The Computer Guy
Experience:  Post Graduate (Gold Medal) with 9 Years of Work Experience, 11 Year of exp in data recovery
21067471

I have a similar situation with the question found on this

Customer Question

I have a similar situation with the question found on this page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/6aqmx-dell-laptop-will-not-shutdown-keeps-coming-right-back.html
I followed all the instructions found in your advice, but I'm still not able to keep my Dell Precision M4800 from restarting every time it is shut down.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a few problems with the power management setup with the computer, so I put everything to defualt and tried restarting the laptop both in the docking station and with out the docking station. Pluged in, and unplugged. Same result everytime. Computer continues to re-start after every shutdown. I'm running windows 10
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. This is Leela and I will help you with the question today.

Can you please let me know if you could POWER DOWN the computer by removing the battery and try to put the battery back and see if the problem still exists? Please make sure to SAVE all your work before you try removing the battery.

Thanks,

Leela

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this, removed the battery, left it removed for 10 minutes plugged it back in, and tried the power down from windows menu. Power and drive lights go off for 10 seconds and then the computer turns back on
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

OK.. thanks for confirming.

Incase you want to continue via chat, we can work on chat. Incase you need PHONE SUPPORT for quick conversation, please accept additional services offer and securely share your contact number so that I can call you.

Regards,

Leela

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leela, I'm working from a second computer, so I'm good try a few fixes without using the phone. Just in case, cell number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

I guess it must be a HARDWARE or DRIVER problem. Can you please remove POWER CORD, BATTERY of the laptop and try to see if the POWER KEYS are pressed by any chance. Try to check if any KEY got pressed and try to release it.

Please let me know how things go.

Thanks,

Leela

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the battery out and the laptop unplugged, I held the laptop upside down and pressed the power button a few times while blowing around the button with comrress air (dust Be gone) Clean new computer, nothing came out. Button had a good feel with proper indent feeling. When I run command Prompt and powercfg -devicequery wake_armed, its replies "NONE"
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update.

Did you check ALL Keys or just the Power button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the power button. I'll check all the keys
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

Also one more thing.. Is the device connected via LAN or WIFI?

If it is connected via LAN there is a chance that it can be AWAKEN via LAN and we can disable that.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the LAN and Wifi Settings both in System Properties and In the Bios. System Properties didn't have the check box selected, the bios advanced settings were also disabled fro both the LAN, Wifi, and USB bus root.
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the confirmation.

The important thing left is BIOS update.

Did you try to update BIOS on the computer recently? Also from when you are facing this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Computer is 1 week old from Dell. I upgraded to Windows 10 and have had a problem since. bios is current one listed on Dells website.
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

OK. Did you get Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 along with the purchase?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8.1
Expert:  toughguy replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I guess you didnt have any problem with Windows 8.1. Can you confirm?

As your BIOS is upto date and you didnt have problem with Windows 8.1, I think problem may be with Windows 10 OR with your mother board.

Do you want to try going back to Windows 8.1, by trying System recovery? If you are keep to run Windows 10 only and not want to go back to 8.1, you would need to visit the store where you bought the computer or call Dell.

If you go to service center also they may first try to recover machine to Windows 8.1 and do their debugging of the problem.

Thanks,

Leela