Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I keep getting a blue screen. The message is that "page

Customer Question

I keep getting a blue screen. The message is that "page fault in non paged area" I have called Dell many times and they want me to reload windows but then I lose all my programs!! Many of them I don't have discs for. Is there another solution. After I re-boot it works fine but next time I wake it up the blue screen pops up again. Lee Kendter
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

When exactly are you getting this error Lee? After using it for some time, or when it starts up?

Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lee, thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) ....YUP its a thing.....and its a major issue, if you have been getting them.

Dell is correct in wanting you to re-install windows, this is the bonafide way to cure it. However, instead of wiping everything out, as you are fearing, you can just run the REPAIR WINDOWS utility.

Sorry Richard...I was already typing and JA let you jump in for somereason

Lee,

you can try this series of steps to turn off the Virtual memory, and then turn it back on. Sometimes this helps.

1) Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2) Click the Advanced System settings tab.

3) Under Performance, click Settings.

4) Click the Advanced tab.

5) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

6) Click No paging file. Click OK, ok, ok and make sure to apply.

7) Restart your computer.

8) Open Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

9) Click the Advanced System settings tab.

10) Under Performance, click Settings.

11) Click the Advanced tab.

12) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

13) Click System managed sized. Click OK, ok, ok and make sure to apply.

14) Restart your computer.

Or you can run the SFC....System File Check

to run the SFC, open an elevated command prompt, an use this command

SFC/ scannow

It must be exactlylike that......between the forward slash, and the word 'scannow', there is a space.

I also think you should run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. You can do this by:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button

Do one of the following:
    1. If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

2. If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

2. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)

3. Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

4. On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool (Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool) to open it.