Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have a Lenovo C260 All-in-one. It has the Intel Integrated

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Lenovo C260 All-in-one. It has the Intel Integrated Graphics with a HDMI Out port. I am wondering if I can connect this to an external 4K monitor and achieve actual 4K resolution? At present when i do so, it seems that the highest it allows me is 1920x1080 FHD resolution only. I did some research and found that the Intel Integrated Graphics should support 4k Resolution?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The built-in graphics card in the C260 only allows for up to HD 1600x900 output from the HDMI Out port.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. However, if what you say is true, then why am I getting 1920x1080 resolution from a 4k external monitor through the HDMI Out port? Also, I can connect a DELL external monitor which correctly outputs 1920 x 1200 so this suggests i am able to go even higher than 1920x1080.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

1600x900 is the correct specification for the C260 HDMI output.

You can use a higher resolution monitor, however it will only display 1600x900.

However you cannot use a lower resolution monitor to display a HD output.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry to strongly disagree there and am unsatisfied with your answer. My dell is definitely displaying at the higher native resolution as there is noticably more screen real estate. I use it for application development for this purpose and hence my wanting even more real estate in using 4k.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree that the highest the aio screen can go is 1600*900. But the graphics card is capable of outputting higher resilutions to external monitors via its hdmi out port.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since i know for a fact this is the case which is also backed up by the intel site for the integrated graphics chip, i do not wish to pay for this information.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

How are you measuring the output display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use the 1920*1200 dell output as my main display because i can fit more on screen and the aio native 1600*900 screen as the secondary extended display.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The 1920*1200 Dell will display the 1600*900 output from the Lenovo.

You can try connecting a 3840 x 2160 display if you wish, and it will still work, but you will only get the 1600*900 display signal from the Lenovo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so your trying to tell me and anyone else reading this post that the Intel Integratef HD Graphics can only output a max resolution of 1600*900. this is coming from a so called expert that now claims that the resolution on an external monitor via the HDMI out port will only ever display a max of 1600*900.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lets please end this thread now. I dont wish to hear you try to justify an answer that anyone with a bit of IT knowledge can clearly see is incorrect. And you expect customers to pay for such an answer?? Let this post be a warning to potential customers seeking IT guidance.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. The integrated HD graphics is not up to the job you want done. 4K resolution is only possible when the graphics chipset is paired with a 4th generation processor:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/51898

Here's the 4th generation processor lineup:

http://www.mouser.com/new/Intel/intel-haswell-processors/

The C260 is running a Pentium J2900 which doesn't have the horsepower to run at those higher resolutions.

I was able to find a Lenovo document referencing the J2900 in a different model computer.

The max resolution through the HDMI port was listed at 1920x1200

Here's the link: http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tcbook_WE.pdf

There are numerous references to the J2900 throughout the document

mentioning max resolution. The first I found was on Adobe Reader page 8.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I specifically stated I did NOT wish to pay for this answer! I have been charged the full amount for this service and I havnt even submitted a rating as yet! Please read the history of this conversation and see how unhappy I was with this service. I expect a full refund ASAP or I will be raising this issue as a major complaint against JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Payment is only supposed to be taken when a rating is given. This is not the case. My account has been debited $5.15 plus the additional $33.99. Refund expected ASAP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I have not heard back from you on this and it seems your company take the payment regardless of whether a rating is given or not which goes against your policy. If you do not respond to this and confirm my refund I will have to take this matter further.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I understand the answer was not one you wanted to hear but getting a refund is pretty easy at JustAnswer.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron, your answer was correct and to a standard I expected for a paid service. It was the expert's response before you that was well below standard. Not only was his answer wrong but it was short and not backed up by any reference material and aimed to fool non suspecting technical illiterate customers. The exchanges we had forced me to research harder and actually find the information I needed on my own accord prior to your taking over as the technical expert. So whilst I appreciate seeing your correct response in the end, my exchange with Peter has given me a bad impression of JustAnswer to start with and unfortunately I wont be returning for any further advise from this site. I have applied for a refund. Thankyou for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just for your information....get 4k video output from any USB 3.0 port on a PC or Laptop.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1133807-REG/startech_usb32hd4k_usb_3_0_to_4.html
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. That's good to know.

The price tag would probably freak out the average JA customer though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This brand is cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQCFXGA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Which one did you buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purchased the one on the latest post link for US $64. Will let you know how it performs.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Certainly. Thanks for the update.