Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have recently purchased a new computer with windows 7. 2

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a new computer with windows 7. 2 days ago windows explorer ceased working. please help me as i am trying to 2 work and this problem is hampering me. cheers
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is it Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?
Is there any error or message?
What's the model of your new computer?
Since it's new, would you like to reset it fresh as maybe the system was not configured correctly in the beginning?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows explorer
HP Z230
Not if this will affect my data
It won't affect your data, but you have to reinstall any program, if you did install. You will have the option to back up your data / files. But do you have a USB drive, like an external USB hard drive or a USB hard drive? Do you know how to transfer you data files, such as documents, pictures, etc. to a USB drive?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer came from hewlett packard with windows 7 already installed
we can reinstall Windows 7 fresh as needed. But first, would you like me to provide you an alternative windows explorer program you can try out? And it works better also. Please let me know. Thank you.

It looks like you are not there. Let me provide some solutions you can try whenever you are available.

- Please try this first: click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check.

- If it does not work, and if you'd really like to troubleshoot the issue, then you can try this: Click on Start->All programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt, then type sfc /scannow then press Enter. Then wait until it's done, then restart the computer, and check.

- If that does not work, you can try the Windows Repair tool at the website below:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Troubleshooting this can take time. But since it's a brand-new computer, I recommend to do the following instead:

- First, please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Properties, then check if your System type: is 32-bit or 64-bit.

, then download / run the free Explorer++ software at the website below, and use it and check:

https://explorerplusplus.com/

- If you don't like it, you can try other free file management programs, such as XYplorerFree

http://www.xyplorer.com/free.php

, or Multi Commander http://multicommander.com/

(use free versions only.)

If that does not work, or if you like to refresh the system, so it works as intended, then click on Start, then click on All Programs, then look for Recovery Manager (and/or HP and/or PC Help & Tools, and/or Hewlett-Packard, etc.), then do a System Recovery (not system restore), and make sure to select the option to back up / save your data / files when prompted.

, or shut down the computer, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing & releasing the key F11 quickly and repeatedly until a recovery menu appears, then do the System Recovery (not system restore), and make sure to select the option to back up / save your data / files when prompted. (If needed, try key F10 instead.)

When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,