Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

Wefi doesn't have a vaid ip config address and is litmited

Customer Question

wefi doesn't have a vaid ip config address and is litmited
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

If you go to the start screen --> search for CMD and open that up --> in this black window type in ipconfig

Looking for ipv4 address - subnet mask - default gatewy

What does it have for those 3?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not the default gatewy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
other wise I can find the first two
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

there is nothing listed for default gateway, but there are something for the other 2?

Go to start screen --> search control panel --> soft by large icons --> network and sharing center --> change adapter settings --> right click on WiFi network go to properties --> highlight IPV4 --> properties --> in here do you have use the following or obtain IP address automatically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its set up to obtain Ip address automatically
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

on the command prompt window (black window cmd)

type in ipconfig /all

See where it says DHCP server, do you know the IP address of your router; if so the DHCP server should be the same.
To get the device online go back to where you saw the obtain IP address automatically and enter ip - subnet - default gateway manually

For DNS put in 8.8.8.8
Then see if you can get out to the Internet. Once you have Internet we can troubleshoot why DHCP is having issues and not assigning you a default gateway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that dhcpv6 iaid thing
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

you can ignore dhcpv6 you won't use that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confused
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Are you on your phone or another PC that's working? Maybe I can remote into a working PC and show you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forget it I don't want to mess the other computer up
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

We wouldn't be changing any settings, all you have to do is ipconfig on that one.

Say it comes back with

IPv4 = 192.168.1.10

subnet = 255.255.255.0

gateway = 192.168.1.1

Then on broken one, you change it from obtain ip address automatically to use the follow ip

then everything is the same except for IPV4 address, just use something like 192.168.1.20 (only have to change the last number)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all I have to do is get the getway one from the working one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we don't have wriless on that one
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

It'll be the same as it's all pulling from the same router.. or it should be unless you have a complex network setup.

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Yes get the gateway, and plug in your current IP address / subnet. Then use 8.8.8.8 for dns.
If that doesn't work then we would need to setup a remote session to look at router wireless settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I am going to try that and get back to you
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still can't
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

We will need a remote session into working PC to look at router if you want to do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you said dns svericer which one
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

primary dns server

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to do it on the non working one my dad dosent want any one on his comptuer
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

We have to get Internet working before we can. Are you able to plug a network cable into the one that's not working temporarily? Just to get Internet working, then I can troubleshoot wireless issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you want to do
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

If you can plug the laptop directly into the router to get Internet access. I can then remote in and fix the Wireless issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its working now i had to do a factory re set and it worked and i wrote down the address numbers i needed
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Awesome, glad to hear its fixed!

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.