Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming
74139101

I recently installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and I'm

Customer Question

I recently installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and I'm getting the following error:
0xc00000e9
Any advice?
Thanks,
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi Louie, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.

Do you have access to Windows, if so are you contacting me from the computer in question?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My PC will not boot. I am using my smart phone.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Oh okay, that makes things a little more difficult but let's see if can work through it.

The first test we can run is power it off and unplug absolutely everything from the computer, any USB devices, printers, etc then power on the computer.

Tell me what you see on the screen as it boots up and if you get the same error code or another

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged everything. Should i plug everything back before attempting to reboot my PC?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Turn it on with nothing plugged in, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I see what's on the screen if the monitor is not connected to my PC?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I did not specify clearly, unplug everything except the monitor and the power plugs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still getting the same screen with the same error message.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Ok great, what operating system did the computer have originally? Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows Vista or 7.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Oh that's good.

Ok, plug your mouse and keyboard back in for me, power the computer off, power it back on and as soon as you power it back on press F8 repeatedly until you get a screen with a bunch of options.

If you get this far, select the one that says "Safe mode with Networking" - otherwise tell me what happened

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My PC ignored function 8 and went to the error screen.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Try it again, if it does the same thing, reboot the computer and hit Esc repeatedly instead of F8 and tell me what options you see

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While if it did not work, hitting the escape button did give me some BIOS information, but the screen scrolled pretty quickly and I could not understand any of the information.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

It usually stays on one screen if you press Esc and only that key - try it again then try these two (separately), F12 and F11 (the same way you did F8 and Esc)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used F12 and was given several boot devices.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Good work, what options do you see?

There are usually 2 or 3 depending on your computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDD
CD/DVD
COMPACT
xD-Picture
SD/MMC
MS/MS-Pro/HG
MicroSd
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any SD/MicroSD plugged into the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it connected to a unit that housed 4 USB connections, but the housing unit hasn't been connected to my PC for about a week.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Strange that it's still in the list, is it a laptop or a desktop PC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Desktop.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you have no SD / MicroSD card receivers or cards connected, select HDD from the list and hit Enter, then quickly (very quickly) press F8 over and over

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It eventually returned to the error screen.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let's have a look at your BIOS - do you know how to get there?

When you boot the computer up it should display a message, for example:

"Press Del to Enter Setup"

Reboot the computer and lookout for that message, press Del and F2 simultaneously which are the two most common ways to access the BIOS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Delete = enter setupFunction 12 = boot menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not know how to get my bios information.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Great, reboot and press Delete so we enter the BIOS (it's a blue screen)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm there.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the way you move around the BIOS is with your keyboad's arrows, to select something you hit Enter. To deselect an option you press Esc.

I need you to look at the Security tab and the Boot tab and see if you can spot anything that says UEFI or Secure Boot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no boot tab. The only Security tab is titled "BIOS security features." When I hit enter, it gives me a chance to change the supervisor password...there is no password ***** this time.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

No boot tab? What tabs do you see at the top?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are any tabs on top. There are arrows in front of the following groups: product information, standard CMOS features, advanced BIOS features, advanced chipset features, integrated peripherals, power management setup, PC health status, frequency / voltage control, BIOS security features, and then under the BIOS security features you have the following: load default settings, save and exit setup, exit without saving. That's it.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

So if you press on the Right arrow key a couple of times does it stay on the same page or move onto a new window?

Is there any way you can take a photo of the screen and attach it here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stays on the same page.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way you can take a photo of the screen and attach it here so I can have a look?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did it work?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

It just came through now, loading the image

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Great thank you - you should have no problem pressing F8 on boot-up with the BIOS you have which means you may need a Windows installation CD to repair the error.

Press F9, then F10 and select Yes if prompted. Then restart the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press function nine, it asks me if I want to load optimal defaults. Press Ok?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, press OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all that and it got me back to the error screen.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the BIOS won't fix that problem but it would indicate if you're able to press F8 or not.

Let me explain the error so you understand what's happening.

Windows 10 has a minimum hardware specification on their website. You will usually be able to install the operating system but as soon as you receive a few updates from Microsoft, you'll start getting problems because some of your hardware may not be compatible.

If you're comfortable with opening your desktop (2 screws at the back) you can try unplugging the CDROM drive frrom the motherboard then boot the computer back up. The CDROM drive is one of the main reasons the error will come up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do that successfully, will I get this error message again? If it works, should I download windows 9?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

If you disconnect the CDROM drive from the motherboard then reboot the computer, it will get rid of the most common cause for the error. It could let you boot into windows or not, depending on the real source of the problem.

I would recommend using Windows 7, it is a better option than Windows 8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, it's 6 screws.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

You only need to remove one of the sides, unless you have a compact-style desktop like Dell likes to make

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reboot the computer without reconnecting the cd-rom drive?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

That's correct

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

It is just one of the reasons you could be getting the error, another could be the sound card and the graphics card - if it's the graphics card you'll need to take your computer in to a computer shop to get your personal files backup up so you can install another operating system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me which one which one to disconnect??
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The SerialATA cable shown in the image in black color - but make sure it's the one coming out from the CDROM drive and not the hard drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I found it and disconnected it but when I rebooted the PC, it returned me to the error screen.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The next few things you can try will be a little more technical - you need to go back into the BIOS (Reboot, press Delete) and select the Integrated Peripherals option then disable your Onboard Audio Controller.

As a last resort, your Onboard Graphics Controller.

I do recommend you do this yourself as a last resort as you could lock yourself out of your computer

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/1368/Acer-Aspire-X3910.html?page=24#manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please summarize where were at??
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Sure, the error you're getting means Windows 10 can't talk to your hard drive.

The reason is another piece of hardware is causing a conflict therefore the error.

We're doing an isolation test disconnecting one device at a time, your CDROM drive, Sound, Graphics, to see where the problem is.

The thing is if it's your graphics card then you won't get the error but you'll also fail to boot properly into Windows unless you have a third party graphics card.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the CD ROM Drive a problem?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

No, you can plug it back in

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

But if you're going to disable the audio and video as I suggested just now, I would leave it unplugged until you finish the isolation test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not going to, nor do I know how to, disable the audio and video. So do you think its one or the other?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The only way I could tell you for sure is if I had used the computer previously so I know what drivers were updated - it could be either one or simply a problem with your hard drive failing to communicate with Windows properly.

I gave you a small set of instructions on how to do it if you want to try it but as I said, if I weren't too comfortable technically I would take it into a computer shop to get it looked at so you don't lose your personal files

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's my take on this whole fiasco: you spent 3.5 of my precious hours working on this and NOTHING, NOTHING has been accomplished. You're not even sure what the problem is...could be the hard drive, the audio card, or the video card. You sure it's not the monitor or maybe the keyboard is screwing up my PC? Now, your advice is go to computer tech and have them resolve my problem. And I'm going to pay $47 for that advice??!!
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to pay anything, you can speak to billing about your charge here 1(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will. Thanks for the number...
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

You must understand some computer errors are exact and some are Windows saying "I'm not too sure either, but I know it's hardware related". I am trying to diagnose this for you remotely from an error you gave me, all the information I get to be able to solve your problem is that one error and your additional information.

I am sorry that you feel that way - and it is also 3.5 of my time trying to get this going for you

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I can assure you I want this to work for you just as much as you, I am not going around in circles for fun - it's just the nature of your problem isn't an exact science. Most problems can be addressed with a simple answer, some, like this one, cannot.

Have a lovely night and hopefully next time you can get your problem solved faster.