Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I got a brand new ASUS laptop, 1TB hard drive. It offered a

Customer Question

I got a brand new ASUS laptop, 1TB hard drive. It offered a free upgrade to Windows 10, which I did. Only afterward did I realize it didn't work with most of my installed programs. I chose to revert back to Windows 8.1. It allowed me to do that but split my drive into two, a C Drive and a E Drive. My DVD drive is now D Drive. I can't get it back to one drive and I'm running out of space on my "C Drive" because Windows automatically only gave it 200 GB of space. I've tried third party software and it can't solve it either. Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Your Asus hard drive came from the factory with at least 3 partitions, maybe more. In the attachment you'll see a screenshot of my Win*****(unmodified) from a new Windows 8 Dell.

Can you send a screenshot of your hard drive so I can take a look? Mouse over to the right to pull out the Charms bar and open Search. In the text area type: create and format and open the search result. When the Disk Management page opens you'll see something similar to my attachment. Take a close look at those partitions. Some of them will be measured in MB and some in GB.

The small system partitions are created during installation and should not be deleted.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

There is another option. Since the laptop is brand new you can use the factory recovery program to set it back to the way it was when new. You will need to re-install any software you added. Start or restart the machine so that you are looking at the login screen (but don't log in just yet)

While holding down the Shift key, click the Power icon in the lower right corner and select Restart.

Release the Shift key when you see "Please Wait".

When the Choose an Option page opens click Troubleshoot.

Click Reset this PC to start the factory restore process.