Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

Having an problem trying to fix a fraudulent review

Customer Question

Having an problem trying to fix a fraudulent review for my business. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

What is the link to the review in question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a google review for Ricahrd's By The Sea. The name of the reviewer is Walter Landry. I have no idea who this person is.
I want google to remove it, because it fits the guidelines of defamation as well as detrimental to the business. I also want to know who the reviewer is so I may contact this person to make them aware this is a federal offense to use a fictitious name to post a fraudulent review. I want to be sure this does not reoccur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, Its Richards By The Sea
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

This maybe difficult, Google won't provide you with the IP address used. There is no way of finding out who actually posted this, anyone can create a fake account and use a free hotspot.

How long ago did you flag the comment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it first happened and just recently. I believed I fell under the guidelines of defamation.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I flagged it as well, however Google gets countless flags each day so this process could take awhile or they maybe simply disagreed with the request.

If you want to pursue it further, you can request it be removed for legal reasons here. https://support.google.com/legal/answer/3110420?rd=2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did disagree with the request. It is the reason I am still chasing this elusive reviewer. Google allows this with no recourse from the owner. If you do not know who the reviewer is, there is no way of defending yourself. You become a sitting duck for anyone who wants to destroy a solid reputation. I thought you may know of another route to clear this up. I was aware of the opportunity to subpoena Google for this information. I was reluctant to do so, it may be the only avenue.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Other than that last option, I do not know of any other way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, was hoping you had more than I had.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am now having an issue with your rating. I learned nothing new. The information you had was on googles website;
not something I wish to pay for. You did nothing bad just did not provide anything extra. I know how important good ratings are, this is what my issue is from the start. I do not want to damage you but I do not wish to pay for anything I already got for free.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I will escalate this to customer service and they will be able to take care of this for you.