A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

I have the Escort Passport 9500ci radar detector which was

Customer Question

I have the Escort Passport 9500ci radar detector which was purchased 3 years ago for my BMW and installed by a professional installer who has been doing alarm and radar installs for 25+ years. I recently got a new BMW, the exact model as the last one. The same installer removed the system from one vehicle and installed it in the new one. Since the install, the red light indicator remains on but the detector does not function and in fact cannot be turned on or off, yet the red light remains on on the indicator light. Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking for the problem?? Scott
Category: Computer
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Could you let me know how you have the power installed? Are you using the 12V power plug or did you have the unit hard wired in to your vehicles power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard wired.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have the plug in adapter? Want to try to see if it still functions the same without using the hardwire setup, just to eliminate that possibility

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Also there are no messages on the display at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no plug in adapter. Do you know anything specifically about the functioning of this radar detector, or are you an overall tech-ie?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I was confusing your 9500ci for the 8500 series.

So do you have the 9500ci programming software installed on your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not currently, but do you understand that the unit does not turn on and off?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to remove the USB cable connected to the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then what do we do?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

First - Turn OFF the vehicle completely and disconnect the USB cable from the 9500ci.

Next - (Set down anything in your hands as you're going to need both of them.) Press and HOLD the PWR and MUTE buttons on the control module of the 9500ci WHILE turning your ignition to the ON/ACC position.

*DO NOT RELEASE THE PWR AND MUTE BUTTONS UNTIL THEY ARE GLOWING BLUE* - The display will show NO CHARACTERS during this process so please DO NOT rely on the display to guide you here.

Finally - Once the buttons are glowing BLUE, reconnect the USB cable to the 9500ci and your PC. Now open(if it's not running already) Detector Tools on your PC and wait for it to "Connect to your detector".

If you completed the above process correctly your 9500ci will now be connected to your PC through Detector Tools. At this time you need to complete a SOFTWARE UPDATE, not the Database Merge. The software update has 4 stages and each stage must reach 100%.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try and get back to you
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

OK please let me know, if nothing results from this then you would need to send it to Escort for service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The buttons do not glow blue at all. Tried that process just now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT'S NEXT?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delayed response. So the next step would be to get service from Escort on the unit as it has malfunctioned. Since I wasn't able to assist you fully you are more then welcome to request a refund from customer care.