Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I have an Emachine with windows 7 and I can't remember the

Customer Question

Hello. I have an Emachine with windows 7 and I can't remember the password ***** I don't have a reset disc. Is there another way to change the password?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

I have followed the procedure below to recover the Windows password ***** few hundred times with no problems. The process is quite simple: You create the cd on a working computer, put the cd in the problem computer, and follow the rest of the instructions below.

Please, follow the instructions below to reset your computer's password:
- Click the following link and save the file: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd
- Burn that ISO file to a CD. You can use the application found here if you do not have a CD burner: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
- Place the CD in the problem computer, turn it off, turn it on, press the shortcut key responsible for the boot menu ( F12, ESC, F10 ), choose the CD-ROM, and boot.
- Choose Automatic and press Enter
- Sit back and allow the program to locate the passwords for you. It may take up to 10 minutes.

Reboot normally.

I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)

Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.

Thank you again,
- Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I don't have access to another computer. Is there any other way?

I am sorry, but no there is no other way. You may have to use a friend's computer to create the cd.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh boy. I just moved so that's difficult. Ok, thank you though.

You are very welcome. Thank you.

If you wish to work with me in the future for new problems, you can request to work with me either by posting the question on my profile page or by prefacing your question with, "For ***** ***** Only!"

If you need anything else in the future, please let me know.

Thank you for your time today.

- Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi justin. I was able to borrow a computer. How do I burn the iso file? It's only giving me the option to download not burn to disc.

First you have to download the file and save it. After it is saved, you can then follow the rest of the instructions to burn the cd.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohhh gotcha

Please, let me know the results after you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to load he cd on the problem computer I don't have the option for cd rom. I have generic compact flash, generic sd/mmc, generic microsd, generic ms/ms-pro, or generic sm/xd-picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and theres a dvdram

The DVD RAM is the option you need to choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when I selected the dvdram it didn't wait for me to select automatic it just began doing its thing a d now there's a screen with ophcrack that I'm not sure where to go from here

Okay. What options do you have?

Is it currently doing it's thing and trying to get the password? You may have to wait until it finishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't sound like it's doing anything there's a list of users on the left and on the right it says empty or not found beside those

Then it may have failed. Are any of the usernames listed as having an 'empty' password? If so, you can log into those accounts with no password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 that are empty. How do I log in to those?

What are the usernames?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disabled * I'd what both say

In that case, there is not much else you can do. You may have to reinstall Windows after you make any backups that are needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I make back up if I can't log in?

Please, follow the instructions below to install Ubuntu on your computer:
- Click the following link: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
- Download the CD image from that website and save it
- Burn the ISO image to a cd with your current CD burning software.
- When you burn the image, do not burn it as a simple data file. First you will open the CD burning application, choose to OPEN the ISO that you downloaded earlier, and then burn that Image.
- Now you can boot from that burned CD and install Ubuntu on the computer. When you boot from it, be sure that you choose to "Test it out first". Do NOT choose to install it.

Once that boots up, you will have access to the information on the drive and can copy the wanted files to a usb flash drive or external drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a software that allowed me to create a new user for my windows 7. How can I change my password ***** a different user?

You may reset the password ***** following the instructions below:
- Click the Start button
- Type: cmd

- In the list of programs that come up, right click Command Line or CMD and choose "Run as administrator". Allow that to run.
- In the black window, type the following and press enter: net user

- The above-mentioned command will list the users on your computer. Locate the username that you wish to reset and make note of it.

- For the following example, I will use Jason as the username. In the black window, type the following and press enter to reset the password: net user Jason password123

- The last command will change the password ***** password123 for the user Jason

Just replace jason with your username and replace password123 with the password ***** you want to use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I right click on run as administrator a box pops up with my original user and asks me to type an administrator password

When that comes up, you need to enter the administrator password. Another way is that you could log into an account that has administrator permissions.

-Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my original user is the administrator and that's the password ***** don't know. Can I give my other user administrator permissions without this password?

No, you will not be able to reset the password ***** way unless you have the administrator password.

I am looking in the earlier posts and see that one of my questions was not answered. I asked, which 2 usernames were listed when you stated that there where two accounts showing. Please, answer that question. When you responded to my question in the way that you did, it makes me think that I didn't correctly ask the question. I will try this again; thank you for your patience.

Question:

When you stated that there was a list of users in the left of the window, which usernames were listed? And what was the status of each username after you allowed it to complete the scan?

I will be standing by; thank you,

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I ran the program u sent to me again. On the left side there are now 6 users. In the middle is a bunch of letters ad numbers. On the right each says empty or not found
1. *Disabled* administrator-- empty
2. *Disabled* guest-- empty
3. Keri - the one I'm locked out of -- not found
4. Home group user-- not found
5. Updatus user -- not found
6. klcline1 - new one I created. -- empty

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. Regretfully enough, I am sorry to tell you this; however, you will not be able to reset your password ***** this route. I will include all the required information that you will need in order to try another route, below.

- Download the file named "Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip" from the following page ( it will be on the bottom of the page ), http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

- Burn the ISO file found in the compressed zip file found at the aforementioned page to a cd as a cd image (not as data).

- Put the burned CD in the problem computer, turn the computer off and on, and boot from the CD.

- Follow the instructions on this page to reset the password: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

Please, let me know how that turns out for you.

Thank you,

Jason