Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a new computer with WP 10. When I try to access WP7

Customer Question

I have a new computer with WP 10. When I try to access WP7 backup files from an external hard drive, I receive the message that the file is "read only," and my access is denied. How can I open these files in WP 10?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry about the issue. Can you open it? Or does only editing cause issue?
Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message says I can open it if I save it with a different name, but when I click "OK" I'm told that access is denied.
Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can fix this issue directly on your computer together with you? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't wish to have remote connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my first message about the fact that I'm not allowed to open the file?
I'm sorry. With remote support session, you can see everything I do on the computer's screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403
Remote support is easier and quicker for you as I will do all the steps for you. Otherwise, I can provide written instructions, though this is a very complicated issue, which requires you to reset security permissions on the problematic folders / files.
Please let me know your option. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, this isn't working for me. I'd like my money back.
I'm sorry. Is there any issue? I know how to fix this issue for you. We guarantee our service, so don't worry. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you know how to fix it, just tell me what to do.
I'm sorry; it is complicated; that's why I provide remote support option. But no problem, I will try giving you instructions. Can you right-click on a folder that contains those files, then click on Properties, then click on Security, then Advanced..., and set up owner and full permissions there? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that -- hold on.
OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get the Properties menus when I right click on the folder. Evidently, a backup file is not the same as a regular file.
Did you copy these folders/files from external drive to computer yet? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made a new "Backup" folder and copied to it.
Right-click on the Backup folder on the computer (not on the external drive), then do you see Properties? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally figured that's what I should have done and now I have the properties menu.
Then click on Security, then Advanced..., and take ownership and full permissions there, and replace for all subfolders / files. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hopeless. I give up. Thanks for trying to help.
You're welcome. I'm sorry. I've seen this issue a few times before and I was able to fix them all. Would you like remote support? We have A+ service rating:
I guarantee to fix this issue for you. Please let me know. Thank you.