Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have saved a document in Wordperfect 5.1 on a floppy disk.

Customer Question

I have saved a document in Wordperfect 5.1 on a floppy disk. When I try to open it it says "Access denied." Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

If you click start, My Computer can you access the Floppy Disk at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, copy then the file to the computer from the Floppy Disk, then open it from the computer, not from the floppy disk and check if it then opens.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

else let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't copy or send from the floppy. I can see it on the floppy with bits but that's it. Does this make a difference about fixing remotely? And let me ask, if I go for the remote by you and you can't fix it, do I have to pay?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes you will still pay as it can be a fault with the floppy disk, something I cannot avoid. Its for the service to fix or confirm the issue your are paying for.

Which drive letter is the floppy disk shown as?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A, which is an external drive. Can we first try whatever we can without going remote. When I put the floppy back into the 98 computer, it locks up that computer and the original document saved there says 0 bits.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes we can continue here this is not issue.

Put it in the windows xp computer

Then click start, run and type in

cmd

press enter

type in the black window

chkdsk :a /r

Press enter

Then when it has completed try to copy the file

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, use this command instead

chkdsk a: /f

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's asking convert lost chains to files, yes or no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I answer the question, yes or no?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

say yes please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, has it finished?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess. It now says c:\Documents and Settings\Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my answer, that it says c:\Documents and Settings\Lou?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok it has finished, please now try to copy the file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The file no longer appears on the floppy disk.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, it was not there to begin with. This is why it was showing 0 bytes (meaning empty) it was only the file name.

Windows tried to repair it, saw the file did not exist and restructured the disk

In these cases it is the disk that is usually faulty and I would avoid using it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't say 0 on the floppy. It said 221. Where is it now?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, reading what you said "When I put the floppy back into the 98 computer, it locks up that computer and the original document saved there says 0 bits."

But even 221 is not even a few letters it was not an actual file just the file name

But windows correct the structure on the disk which removed the file name and hence it dissapeared. There was no actual file which is why it could not be copied or opened. It was just a few bytes representing the file name

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that it? I signed up because your site guarantees to fix or not charge. It's not fixed. In fact, it's gone. I think you should have said up front if it's the floppy you will be charged, not 100 percent guarantee to fix or no charge. I'm assuming this is no charge. Am I right?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

As I explained you pay for a service. If it was not this way then no one would have helped you in the first place. Why would I say up front it was the floppy? First I remove any corruption and then I can confirm this which I did, which you waited for me to do, before demanding not to pay for it.

No where did I or the site say 100 percent guarantee to fix or no charge.

But look, if your the person that does not pay for services recieved, then I am not going to argue with you about why this is not right.

If you don't want to pay then don't.

And its not now gone, as I explained it was not there in the first place, just the file name.