Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Up date to vista without loosing files can it be done

Customer Question

up date to vista without loosing files can it be done
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

The upgrade to wndows vista from XP depends upon how the upgrade will be done and based on that whether data loss will occour or not

Please let me know the do you have a upgrade disc of windows vista with you or its a windows vista full operating system disc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont have any disc can one be got is it a big job
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

ok so since you are planning to upgrade it to windows vista, i will let you know the entire process

however before an upgrade the very first step to check is whether the hardware on the pc meets the requirement for windows vista or not

to check the same you can click here

it will download a file

run the file on the windows xp pc and it will scan and check if your computers hardware meets the upgrade requirements or not

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

once you have run the upgrade advisor if it shows as compatible then the next step would be to backup your data on an external drive...

though an upgrade throuh upgarde disc states that there will be no data loss but in a rare case the upgarde gets stuck in between your data is at risk

so its always recommended to backup data on external storage

once done, you can run a windows vista installation either from vista upgrade disc or vista operating system disc

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

here below i am listing a link that has all upgarde possibilities listed based on the version of windows xp you have

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-vista

in case for your version it states upgrade , you may run an upgrade disc else clean installation can be done on all versions using vista operating system disc

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have any questions

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley

face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you

answer you question further