Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

My wife's computer recently ended up with DNS

Customer Question

My wife's computer recently ended up with DNS Unlocker???????? It keeps popping up Shopping Assistant ads. I have done everything I know to do. I have run several Paid For software, thrown everything Microsoft has at it and I even restored it BACK TO Factory, reloaded the software and it KEEPS coming back You cant get on the web because of it. Can I GET RID of THIS for GOOD ??????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

If you ran it back to factory it must have been reinstalled somehow. Can you get on the web with it well enough to communicate with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get back on her computer on the net. I keep getting all of these pop ups!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, is anyone out there???????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where did Wes go?
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Right here

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

had to step away from my desk for a little bit. Alright, try restarting her computer... and immediately start tapping F8 and see if you can get into the Advanced Startup menu. There should be a selection for Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking. Do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am loading safe mode with networking.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

let me know once it's loaded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its loaded bjut the wireless now doesn't work.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

any chance you can plug it directly into your router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not from here
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

what is the make and model of the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Acer Aspire X1430G
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got logged in on her computer!
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

in safe mode or regular mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regular Mode
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

okay bring this up in a web browser on that computer https://www.fastsupport.com/716042954

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it turned out and if the scan took care of the infection (REBOOT) if you haven't already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wes, the scan wiped out a good majority of my drivers. It cleared out everything so I couldn't get on the internet any more. It won't let me do anything now. It made things 10 times worse than it was. I think I am going to just take my lumps, throw it in the trash and buy her a new one. This has been a VERY bad experience. I don't think I could recommend this service at all.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

I'm very sorry you feel that way. Maybe I didn't do a very good job of setting your expectations before we began so for that I am also sorry. That said, I've been doing this for more than 15 years, there's no way the problems you described resulted solely from a Malwarebytes scan. If the Windows installation was so fragile that it couldn't handle those infected files being removed, it would have crashed within days if not hours. In the mean time you could have had personal information, passwords, credit card information, bank data, etc... stolen via the considerable infection your system had. You said so yourself that the system was unusable so I don't know how it could be 10x worse than that afterward. In any case I can understand you're not happy and I certainly don't expect you to pay if you're not satisfied. All I would ask is that you take an honest look at the situation before you consider trashing anyone's reputation. I think if you're honest with yourself, you knew where this was likely going to lead. In order to have your refund processed, please either visit this link: http://www.justanswer.com/refund or send an e-mail to***@******.*** and request a refund.