Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

I have a Brother MFC-9440CN printer. Yesterday, I tried to

Customer Question

I have a Brother MFC-9440CN printer. Yesterday, I tried to print, and realized that it wouldn't turn on. The LCD display was flashing white, and making a "click" noise, which continued, even after I disconnected the power. Any clue what is going on? Nothing works.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 5 year service life which is long past.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cbutton for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $200 range to have the internal power supply, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For around $300 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,