Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

Ansh, I got a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop which came with

Customer Question

Hi Ansh, I got a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop which came with WinXP pro installed. I tried to install openSUSE on a partition but the installation failed at the end and now the computer will not boot. Any suggestions?
Are you there?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Expert Ansh P. would appear to not be online to pick up on your question, so I offer my help with it.

If the installation of Open SUSE Linux failed at the end or toward the end, then the computer's hard disk software is now in no condition to boot up. So, you need to start the SUSE Linux installation from the beginning again. Boot the computer off the SUSE Linux installation CD/DVD disc, and proceed from there.

(Do you know what error the installation failed with? if so, tell me - I may be able to advise you how to avoid the failure happening once again.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Russell,
I put the openSuSe cd/dvd back in and restarted the computer. However that does not work and all I get is a black screen with the following:
Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v1.2.50 PXE 2.1 Build 086 (WfM 2.0)
Have tried to reboot multiple times and it's always the same result.Can you suggest a different approach?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Please access the Setup in the BIOS as follows:

- with the computer turned Off for at least 30 seconds:

- turn On the computer, and immediately

- begin pressing the F2 key on the keyboard, once a second, until you get into the Setup.

- the locate the Boot Order options, and move the entry for CD Drive, up to the top or so that it is first in the Boot Order.

- save that changed boot order and exit the Setup according to the instructions at the bottom of the Setup screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to access the bios but it is password ***** says Intel ME Password. I just bought this computer from Amazon and of course I didn't create any password ***** I wasn't told what the password ***** be. I will contact the seller and ask for a password ***** get back to you. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If they don't know or don't have whatever BIOS password ***** has, then you should definitely return it to them for a refund, ASAP.

Good luck. (And if this case is over as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer, so this case may be closed.) Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'd like to ask you one more ? on this subject before I return the computer (trying to avoid that as I will probably have to pay for shipping). I removed the cmos battery for 1/2 a day and that let me get to the bios setup. I put the openSUSE cd back in and it worked and started to install the os. But 96% into it I got the message "Boot Loader Installation Failed", which is the same thing that originally happened. Then I got back into BIOS setup and it says "Hard Drive Not Present". Now what? Remember, there is no Windows and no DOS on this computer, everything got wiped out, so is there a way to make it recognize the hard drive? Or what if I just get another hard drive, will it work then? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is the H.D. the type with a SATA interface? if so, that might explain the problem: it may need a driver before writes to the Boot Loader area (or for that matter, other parts of the drive) are possible.