Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

Today I attempted to install the free Windows 10 onto my

Today I attempted to install the free Windows 10 onto my Dell desktop computer.
During the installation I was informed that the process would tr ake a while. So, I left and mowed the lawn. When I returned the screen was blank. After clicking the mouse all over the place I got no response. So, I booted or restarted the computer. Three messages appeared on the screen during the start up process: 1) Preparing Automatic Repair; 2) Diagnosing Your PC; 3) and Your PC Did Not Start Correctly. Then I was given the option of Restart and Advanced Options. I tried all of the options without any success. I was unsure of what to do with the command prompt. Resetting, rebuilding, recovering, repairing or continuing to Windows 10 did not work. What can I do to get my desktop computer back? I am using a laptop computer to communicate with you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** is a better way to install windows 10 so there is no error. I can provide a link to download windows 10 and allow it to burn the program to disk. You would need a computer to do this and a blank DVD do you have this available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps you did not understand my problem. After installing Windows 10 I cannot start up my PC.

From your description of the issue, it appears the operating system is corrupt and it may need to be reloaded.

Do you have anything on the hard drive that you need recovered? If so we can try to boot from a Windows PE CD and retrieve those.

Then we can begin the process of reinstalling Windows 10.

Both scenarios will require a blank CD for the PE CD part, and a DVD to burn Windows 10 on to it. Please let me know if you want to proceed with this, and I will provide you links to download the iso files that we need burned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Mr. McCall. Your diagnosis is apparently correct. I also contacted Microsoft and Dell regarding this concern. A Dell rep instructed me to load or reinstall Windows 7 (the original operating system). The Dell rep has been working to make my PC operable again. I should have waited for you because you seem to be extremely knowledgeable and skilled. There remains several issues to be resolved by the Dell rep including recovering pictures, programs and files and resolving an Internet Explorer problem with web pages not being fully displayed. Hopefully, this matter will be resolved soon. And hopefully, your help is still available, if the Dell rep cannot recover my pics and files. Unfortunately, I did not backup my hard drive or store data in a cloud. Thank you again Mr. McCall for your response. I was impressed by your recommendation based on my description of the problem. Take care!

It sounds like you're on the right path, if you need anything else, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Mr. McCall. I might need your help attempting to restore my pictures, music and files. The Dell rep had very limited success recovering the data. She said it has been lost. If you think you could help me recover some or all of the files, pictures and music that would be great. The WD Passport backup external hard drive connected to the computer for some reason stopped backing up the hard drive in July of 2013. Hopefully, the data, files or pictures up to 2013 are recoverable from the My Passport hard drive. But then there would still be music, Word files and pictures during the past two years which need to be recovered. The Dell rep should be finished on Tuesday, September 22. She is waiting for all of the Windows updates to load. At that time I will contact you regarding recovering the "lost" data, files, pictures and music. Thanks again!

Did you get Windows reinstalled on the hard drive already? If so, the only way to recover those files would be if you reinstalled it over the top.. Meaning there would be a Windows.Old folder on the C drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7 has been reinstalled. And there was a listing which I viewed while the Dell tech was working on the computer which had an entry called Windows Old. Hopefully, she did not delete it.

If there is a Windows Old folder, all your old files should be in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. ***** might contact you for assistance in recovering my old files later this week.

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. McCall, the Dell technicians successfully resolved my computer problems. Thank you and Mr. Roberts for your recommendations. No doubt your instructions would have also successfully addressed the issues with my PC. If I encounter such difficulties in the future, I will not hesitate to contact justanswers.com and specifically request your assistance. Thanks again!

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience: Systems Administrator