Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

I own Apple iMac years. in the past three months the IMAc

Customer Question

I own Apple iMac for 5 years. in the past three months the IMAc states my Iomega cannot be backed up. I contacted Apple today and went through diagnostics without success.
My Iomega Serial number is ***** RDHD-C2
Apple suggest I contact you.
email__***@******.***
Name..... Blake
Thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Blake, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You are having trouble with an Iomega external drive correct? Are you able to access the Iomega drive from your mac? Or are you not able to access it at all in addition to not being able to back it up?

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Also does the drive spin up at all when it's connected? Does it make any noises, repetitive clicking noises for example?

If the drive is making a loud clicking sound it means the drive has failed entirely. If you are not able to access the drive at all, there's a good chance the electronics in the external drive *case* have failed. However, your data may still be intact on that drive. In order to get at it you could take the drive case apart and remove the hard drive and connect it to a USB to SATA adapter. You could then use it as an external hard drive again... but I would recommend removing your data and purchasing a replacement external hard drive for daily use. You could also bring the drive to a computer store and they may be able to do a recovery of the drive's information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It states my time machine disk cannot be found
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Further, an icon comes on when I boot up stating nothing has been backed up for 73 days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hard drive is sitting next to me. It makes no sounds that I can hear.. How do I remove the data on it to transfer data to a new hard drive?
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

I noticed you had requested a phone call. I've re-initiated a proposal for that, if you would like to discuss this further over the phone please accept the additional service request. Otherwise decline it and we can continue via the text interface.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't quite understand this repair. It is your unit that is failing. I've paid you 31.00 to find a solution or go buy a new one. You should back up your products better. I will find anohter backup soon
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

I think you have us mistaken for a different company. This isn't Iomega you've reached, it's JustAnswer. We provide technical support for any product.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

In any case if you have reached us in error and would like a refund, you can email***@******.*** and request one, or we can continue to discuss the issue at hand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that's true. Didn't realize that when I looked this up. I'm still no better than I was before I echatted with u.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Well, as I was saying you can disassemble the drive's outer case and remove the actual hard drive then you will need a USB to SATA adapter so you can hook it up to your computer and retrieve your information. Let me see if I can find an example of one of these devices for you.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Once that's done and your data is safe, you can deal with Iomega over the warranty, however, if you've had it longer than a year, it may be out of warranty coverage... I'd have to look it up to see how long the warranty is on your particular device.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

The drive simply plugs into the the dock... once it's there the drive will show up like a USB flash drive or external hard drive.