Josh, Support Specialist
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

Ad 10, accepted and download started this AM, download did

Customer Question

ad for windows 10, accepted and download started this AM, download did not complete, windows 10 did not activate, microsoft attempted to restore windows 7, error message "error loading operating system"
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.

Before you attempted for a windows 10 upgrade did you backup all you important data on an external hard drive or a usb drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an external drive with a backup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not allow the update, when I turned the pc on windows took over
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you mean it was a forced update which ran?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Power off the comptuer and wait for 3 mins. power it back on and let it run let me know on which point it freezes or pops with any windows error.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

hold down the power button for 10 seconds the computer will shut down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now 10 minutes, screen shows starting windows
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

ok and is it showing the windows 7 or 10 logo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

ok.give me a moment here..let me check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shows the blue, red, green flags
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

please let me know the make and model of the pc

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Pavilion EliteHPE-137
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model HPE-137c
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

do you have any recovery discs for the pc with you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before we started talking I went into F-10 at boot up and changed set up to default setting, then when we started I booted the PC backup, and after 15 minutes Pc booted back up and is working ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

It has run a self repair and you are booted to windows now.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Try to do a proper shut down and then turn it back on let me know if there is any problem.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

If everything is fine the please click one of the stars above to rate me for my service and if you have any question feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Booted down, would not boot back up
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

unplug the power cable from the comptuer and press and hold down the power button for 40 seconds without connecting the power cable to the computer once this step is done connect the power cable and power on the pc let me know if it boots or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
followed your directions, booted up, windows 7 logo running on screen, after 20 minutes will not boot. I have a backup on an external drive, utilizing another computer would it work to copy to a cd rom, then run on affected pc.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

do you have the discs for windows 7 or any recovery discs you made for this pc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On an external hard drive I have a backup from 9/15/2015
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

in order to run a clean boot of windows we would need to reinstall windows either from a windows 7 disc or a recovery disc

the backup you created is a backup copy of the files but windows cannot be reinstalled with it

in order to do a fresh install we wold need windows operating system disc

let me know if you have the windows or recovery disc with you

your computer must have come with either one of these

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No boot disk, PC bought from computer repair shop. At this stage what can be done??? is it possible to create a boot disk?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i will have to check if an iso image of the recovery disc is available online

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me check hp's downloads

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

give me another minute please

i am working on it

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your patience

i checked and this pc does not come with a recovery image program..that means that neither a factory image is loaded nor recovery discs are provided or a download of the same is available

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

so now we have 2 options ...we will have to create a bootable disc of either windows 7 or 10

if we load windows 7 then you will have to again follow the upgrade to windows 10

2nd option is to create a bootable disc of windows 10 directly and install it

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

technically the 2nd option is a better choice as if we go in for a windows 7 install if will force the windows 10 upgrade again

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

however these steps can be performed only on a windows based pc and not on a mac

i would suggest you could try these steps on a windows based pc maybe on a friends or neighbor's pc

i will list down the steps:

Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool...click here to download

• Once Media creation tool is installed on your device, launch the application.
  • Windows 10 setup displays on the screen wherein you will be asked “What do you want to do?”
  • Now, select Create installation media for another PC, and then, click Next.
  • On the next screen, you need to select your preferred Language and Architecture
  • Select the edition based on your current running edition of Windows Operating System.
    • Choose Windows 10 Home Edition
  • On the next screen, you need to choose the type of media which is used to boot Windows 10.
  • Select USB flash drive and Click on Next.
  • If you want to create a bootable Windows 10 USB DVD, select ISO file
  • Media Creation Tool will then create the bootable setup media for Windows 10 using USB drive.
  • Now, you will get a new window that displays three options:
    • Keep Personal Files and apps
    • Keep Personal files only
    • Nothing
  • Select Nothing and Click on Next.
  • your computer will restart and at this time unplug the usb drive
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

now boot from this usb drive on your pc and run a windows 10 installation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This second step, I take it I cannot download to a USB drive on a mac?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes

because the media creation tool that you will download will run only on a windows based computer

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

if that is not possible then you will have to get a windows 7 disc and install windows 7 and then run a manual upgrade to windows 10

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a windows 10 disk with code that I bought, would this work? I tried to load from a boot up but system would not recognize
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

It must be a windows 10 upgrade disk or an operating system disk?

do you have windows 7 or 8 disk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Windows 10 is a Professional Plus 2013, on the disk it says backup disk, with Product key codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no on the 7 or 8.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Looks like not a full os disk still we can give it a try.

insert the disk in the drive and close the tray and shut the computer power off, wait for 30 seconds and power it back on.

Immediately keep tapping on the F12 key wiich is a one time boot menu enabler as soon as you see boot from cd/dvd use the arrow to select and hit enter then it will again say press any key to continue hit enter again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work on F12; I have a backup on a thumb drive, since nothing else has work would the thumb drive work the same as the windows cd?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes please try the thumb drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thumb drive was an incomplete, the problem I have is the backup is a 39gb and I only have a 32gb thumb drive; everything I see is that you have to be able to access search on the windows screen; utilizing F10 I can see the different drives, cd, hd, and and usb ports, and since the backup is on an external drive plugged into a usb port how would I go about accessing the files on the external drive.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on youtube, Microsoft, and google with no success; I know that if a computer tech can get into my pc, (this has happened before) then I believe you can Michelle. I need to be able to restore this pc from the F10, thumb drive, or create a boot cd. I know you are working on this problem, but the goal is for me to gain access.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I will open the question to other experts for there input and view as i am running out of ideas.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

HP has a built-in recovery system that you can use to restore the computer. Please power off the computer and when powering it back on, keep pressing F11 repeatedly until you reach the Recovery screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after F11 screen shows "boot selection failed because a required device in accessible "boot sequence:
1. CD rom
2. hard drive
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to select Hard Drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
change boot sequence to hard drive, then cd rom?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and try the steps again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not work, is there a way to build a boot disk?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a desktop or laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The affected pc is a desktop; I am using a mac air to correspond between you and myself. Sorry about the delay, I had a motorcycle wreck and injured my left leg and kneecap, I have to stay off the leg and rest.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any CDs in the CD drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which pc, desk or lao? answer no to both
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Try this..

1. Press the Power button to shut down the computer.

2. Wait a few seconds, and then press the Power button again. Immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS screen appears.

3. Use the right/left arrow keys to navigate to System Configuration.

4. Highlight Boot Options and then press Enter.

5. In the UEFI Boot Order list, press the F9 key to reset the boot order to the default settings. Or, to customize the boot order, use the up/down arrow keys to move the highlight to your preferred boot device, and then press the F6 key repeatedly until the device is moved to the first position in the list.

6. Press F10 to Save and Exit, and then press Enter to confirm.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not satisfied, the problem is not solved; a boot disk could have been built? if other computer techs can get into a pc?
thank you for trying
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Did you follow my steps that I posted on Sept 22nd?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with no success
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

In that case, you will need to order a recovery kit from HP..

1. Find the serial number for your computer and write the number down on a piece of paper. The serial number is ***** on a service tag label adhered the case of the computer. For some notebook models sold in 2010 or later, you need to remove the battery or open an access hatch on the bottom of the notebook to see the service tag.

Figure : An example of a service tag (the tag on your computer may look different)

2. Write down any model numbers and product names listed on the service tag. Use these names to determine the exact model name (not series) of your computer.

caution:

It is very important that you know the computer's exact model number/product name - not the series name that is often printed directly on the product's exterior. If you use the series name to order discs, the discs probably will not work. For example, there are several models of G62 notebook computers, but only one model G62-149WM. To learn more about how to find model numbers for HP products, see HP Guide to finding your product number.

3. Open a web browser and go to the www.hp.com home page, and then click the Download drivers from the Support menu at the top of the page.

4. Enter the product number or complete product name of your computer in the Find my product field, and then click Go.

Figure : Enter a product name/number

5. If you are presented with a list of several links to product support sites, click the link that matches your computer's model number.

Figure : Click model number

6. A Software and Drivers page opens. Make sure that the model number listed at the top of the page matches the model number/product name of your computer. If the model number does not match, double-check the product name/number on the service tag, and search the HP Web site again.

7. Click Go under Option 2: Go directly to the software and driver results.

Figure : Click Go

8. On the Drivers page for your computer, use the drop-down menu to select the original operating system that came with your computer, and then click Next.

Figure : Select your operating system

9. On the list of downloads, click Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB, and then click Order Media to open an ordering page.

note:

The ordering pages use a secure connection to protect your privacy.

note:

If you cannot find an "Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB" section, select another operating system from the drop down list. If you cannot find a Recovery Media section for your computer model, HP does not have a recovery kit available.

Figure : Order Recovery Media

10. On the order summary page, enter the required Serial number, and then click Next.

note:

If an error page opens stating that HP was unable to find the page you wanted, use another Internet browser, such as Firefox, to order your software from HP. The ordering process is known not to work under certain configurations of Internet Explorer.

Figure : Enter your product's serial number

11. Enter a 5-digit zip code and click Next.

12. Select a Shipping method from the options provided, and then click Next.

Figure : Select a shipping method

13. Complete the shipping address form, and then click Next. The information on this form should match the address for your credit card.

14. If the billing address is the same as the shipping address, select Use my shipping address, and then click Next.

If the billing address is different from the shipping address, select Use a different address, click Next, complete the billing address form, and then click Next.

15. Enter your payment information, including a credit card number and credit card verification number, and then click Submit.