Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

I had been on vacation and upon returning I had an HP

Customer Question

I had been on vacation and upon returning I had an HP Support msg and in the msg was a note saying something like update available. I clicked and it went thru a download and then install. However it stalled during the install. I ended up shutting it off by unplugging and removing battery. Now I cannot get back into the PC. I've gotten as far as the password ***** (and once was able to input pwd) but then nothing. Was this a fake HP item? Have I downloaded malware?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Yes, if you got an email stating an update was available, see if the link directed you to an HP.com site. If it didn't it was a fake, and your PC is infected and afflicted with something if you downloaded from the non-HP site.

It can be reversed, hopefully. Boot up in Safe Mode, choose to Restore your computer to a previous time, and select a time *before* the download-and-install was done, e.g. 1 day previous. (Be sure that it is a 'system restore' operation you choose, not a 'system refresh' or the like... those other functions may erase your computer and all your data that is on it.)

If you need instructions on how to do so, let me know.