s_feehan
s_feehan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting
69400341

My Google account was becoming unstable and a pop-up offered

Customer Question

My Google account was becoming unstable and a pop-up offered to run a corrective programme. I ran it and it reverted my account to its original settings. Now I can't get back into it. I try to log in and enter my email address, but I can't remember the password. I've tried other methods but they can't send me a text or automatically call me because I no longer have that telephone number. What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  s_feehan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it sounds like this pop up you received was a malicious file to hijack your email account and therefore reach out to other accounts you may have tied with your email, Google will never offer any "Corrective programs". I'd like to first start by running some security software on your machine... Could you please go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the free version of that?? Run a full scan and remove any infections it finds... THis is going to ensure you don't have what are called "Rootkits" that are monitoring your passwords and keystrokes for when we attempt to get your email account back.