Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Lenovo a6 vision am model 20180 IdeaPad n586 laptop was

Customer Question

Lenovo a6 vision am model 20180 IdeaPad n586 laptop was updating battery died plugged it in water about 5min tried to tune it back on little red light blinks 3 to 4 times then nothing
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using JA.

Let me make sur I understand your question.

You were doing a windows update, on your Lenovo Laptop, when the battery died, which caused the laptop to turn off, in the middle of the windows update. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it will not boot up just little red light blinks 3 time and thats it

Oh boy, you may have created a BRICK/PAPERWEIGHT.

Your real only move here is to use a BOOTABLE media to regain control of the harddrive.

Do you have the Windows install discs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not a windows 8 but got a windows 7 i use for home computer but how would it load if it wont tune on

Most Computers will check the CD tray for bootable media FIRST before the harddrive. Even though you don't SEE that happen.

Pop the disc in, and try to power on, see what happens.

If nothing happens......you may have to remove the harddrive, and attach it to a different computer to repair it.

But, if you are not able to even get into BIOS, (assuming you are not bypassing BIOS, by changing the settings in BIOS) you will need to replace hardware of some sort.....could be RAM, VIDEO processor, Main CPU, MOBO.

If you get absolutely NOTHING on screen when you power on.....andi mean NOTHING, no blinking cursors, no logos, NOTHING. I mean nothing like, he screen looks the same when its powered off, as it does when you power it on.....then you have dead hardware, plain and simple.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i put or get a new hard drive for this lenovo and if so will it boot like a reguler pc does or does it have to have a persific hard drive

Something to keep in mind here.

When you power off during a windows update, you can cause SEVERE problems to not only the software, but to hardware too.

Because windows is so closely tied to the hardware, as it is the Operating System, that during an upate when your hadware is running in update mode, a power surge of drop, can cause small transistors and relays to blow.

If you pop a NEW hard drive into your Lenovo, it will be blank, and you will have to INSTALL windows, and any other applications for the hardware that is installed on the laptop. DOes it have to be a SPECIFIC hard drive? YES, it must be of the same size (physically...probably a 2.5 inch) and the same connection type (probably Sata). But this process is best left to a technician, if you are not famalier with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am just did not know if a wd or hitachi hard drive would work or if with it being a amd instead of intel if it would make a differance built pc few times know about bios and mother boards prosessors and all that first laptop i know tower pcs will boot and you have to set bios and set drivers but just did not know about laptops
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never had amd alway used intel

Fortunatley Laptops, are extremely smilar to a tower PC. However, there are some small caveats.

There is usually NO PCI slots, and the motherboard and video processor are usually proprietary form factors.

But the HDD are usually universal to a tower PC just smaller, Which means you could use a laptop HDD in a PC tower.

Also, the way windows works, and the way BIOS works, should be the same on a laptop, as it is on a tower PC.

So, if you are not getting ANYTHING on screen, like I mean you don't even get the LCD screen backlight to turn on. You know what I mena right....the screen looks different when its off, versus just a black screen when its on.

Try this......does it have a EXTERNAL monitor port? Can you hook up another monitor via HDMI, or VGA?

Hook up another monitor, see what you get, this will help establish if you video card is still working, or if you have deeper issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if i buy a new hard drive 2.5 and put it in i can use a window 7install disc same as for pc and it will load and laptop will work but just a 7 intead of a 8 right

I would say yes, but heres the deal, if you CAN NOT boot from the windows 7 disc NOW, putting in a new Hard drive wont change that.

Did you put the Win7 disc in the laptop and try to power on? YOU MUST DO THIS to establish if the problem is with the hard drive or with something else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The up date was going from 8 to 8.1 update

Yes, that's a big concern if you lost power when it wa sin the middle of the update.

It even says on screen while the update is in progress NOT to power off until it s finished.

This is EXACTLY why.

Any number of things could have happened, we don't know where the update was when it lost power, we don't know if hardware damage has been done......its a really BIG problem, and if you can not even get into BIOS, which has NOTHING to do with the hard drive....I fear you may have rendered it a paperweight.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I am trying to kee you from just thrwing money at a problem that is unfixable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No did not try nothing comes on boot program is gone or locked up worked fine till power died i know they should never be shut down f it up but i know everything else should not be bad would not think but like i said first laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok see what you are saying just thout a new hard drive would let it come back but you are right about bios just sucks

Yeah, if you can't establish communication with the MOBO, (meaning BIOS) then the NEWLY installed hard drive wont matter.

Its very unfortunate that this happened......but even I have messed up and make bricks before, took a brand new Nook tablet and bricked it, trying to install android on it. Bricked it so bad, not even Nook could fix it, when I sent it back, they had to send me a new one.

Which is what I might refer to you here

Do you still have a warranty? They DONT need to know WHY it stopped working......just that it stopped. Send in for repair, and even then I don't think they will figure out WHY it stopped, they will just send a new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its not i dont think bout it at pawn shop for 125.00 it was nice looked brand new worked fast as crap so bought it but now well you know the rest

Heres the only things i can think of to try, and then beyond this.....much deeper (probably not worth it) investigation would need to take place.

1- Hook up to another monitor...if the laptop has the port.

2- making sure you can not get into BIOS. If you CAN get into BIOS, there is hope. IF not, you are basically dealing with dead hardware on some level.

3- Sell it on Ebay for parts, as a non working....might get $50?

4- remove the hard drive and install it in your tower PC....basdically cut your losses, and salvage what you can.

If there is anything else i can help you with Please let me know.

Thank you.