Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I run a boutique staffing firm. I have an offshore team

Customer Question

Hi there:
I run a boutique staffing firm. I have an offshore team India of 6 users and I am located in California and my server is sitting in Canada with my sys admin guys house. We all login remotely through Remote Desktop Connection. Our trouble is our system is slow. Recently we upgraded the RAM from 16 GB to 32GB. We currently installed Hyper V and we have Windows 2008 R2 server. Our server is Dell310T.
We work actively on our emails that is our lifeline our business and our candidates database that is not too big. What do we need to do so we get proper speed running our recruitment applications (Resumate).
Resumate is a Applicant Tracking software /recruitment software. you can check their website too online.
i would appreciate your help-
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

did the speed get better or worse when you installed the extra ram ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping to see it go faster..but no difference.

we recently installed Hyper V and thought it would be better than earlier and then we increased the ram too to 32GB.

We were just using Remote desktop connection earlier and it was fast.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

what we need to do is track down what changed.

3 possibilities

your load got heavier

Something is going wrong on the server

the internet connection to the server got slower.

have you run any diagnostics on the server itself? something like a bad memory chip or hard drive with some bad spots can slow it down alot. Or something could be corrupted on it.

I would check the server to see how much cpu its using. If that is low than the problem is more likely to be with the internet connection. You might run a speed test from the server to see if you are getting all the bandwidth that you are paying for.

even a simple ping test run for repeatedly for a few minutes will show if you are losing packets between any of the sites and the server. Every packet that comes in with a drop will need to be resent and will slow it down alot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

3 possibilities

your load got heavier

.......... Not really, just 6 virtual machines each with 4GB or RAM, running outlook 2010 and two small application. User complain is in record searching, as it used to take 5/6 second and now taking 10-15 seconds. No application processing

Something is going wrong on the server

.......... Its new systems need to investigate on process level, if interested you can access remotely.

........... No I have fiber optic cable, there may be problem occasionally but not all the time. User is complaining about the system slowness and not connectivity issues. Once logged in, all processes are run on virtual machine.

Two gigabit network cards

Will be converting to TS on the weekend, as user was satisfied using TS.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you got a lot more records to search. ?

Or there may be a bad index or something to do with the search function if that is what is giving the problem