Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Sony DV Direct VRD-MC6 won't turn on. If I hold the power

Customer Question

My Sony DV Direct VRD-MC6 won't turn on. If I hold the power button down it will blink green till I let go. It will not reset itself if unplugged for a minute. I can find no one in Jaxsonville Fl to service it. I'm stuck.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Remove the power connection from the power socket and then hold the power button in for 60 seconds and then release to remove all residue power.

Once done, connect the power back and then try to turn it on.

Let me know if it then starts please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will not start up. Still blinks green when held down. Probably a power source problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is or a mainboard problem. Can't tell without it being tested

How old is the device?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Five years, unused. I got it new by mail. Still has plastic. No extended warranty. I paid less than 100$. They want 500 $ for another one on Ebay. Not made anymore.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, it is a hardware problem, can be due to corrosion and a blown capacitor with it not being used do long. Even with it being in the plastic.

But it will be out of warranty and five years is too long, though under $100 is pretty good.

But your going to have to replace it. Repairing these is not economically feasible anymore.

I saw one for $150 though for replaceemt here

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sony-vrd-mc6

But whenever you buy electronics, even if you do not intend to use it straight away, always test it to be sure its ok so you can still contact the seller in time and get it replaced.