Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Surface laptop and am wondering about an RFID

Customer Question

I have a Surface laptop and am wondering about an RFID protected case or bag for use when I travel with it. So, two questions: (1) Do I need RFID protection when carrying it along, say, on the airplane, or is it not vulnerable when it is turned off? (2) If the RFID is necessary or desirable, do you know of any cases that are set up with RFID for laptops like the Surface? (all of what we see in Magellan's or Travelsmith catalogs show RFID compartments for credit cards, & passports, but no for laptops). Many thanks, ***** ***** den Steinen
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I dont see how it would be vulnerable to much if it is turned off completely. Nor why anybody would be trying to scan your computer unless you are in the CIA. Probably not all that many people trying to scan passports but those that are would be in the airport which is why they put the protection in the travel bags for passports.

that being said there is an rfid bag but it doesnt look the most attractive thing in the world

http://www.amazon.com/RFID-Blocking-Laptop-Bag-StrongHold/dp/B00FM4CD22