Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

Trying to install windows 10. Stops download due to error

Customer Question

Trying to install windows 10. Stops download due to error msg about non compatible SW. Instruction are uninstall PCTools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus/Internet Security. Cannot uninstall due to missing file and the program procured by Symantec, is no longer supported
Is there anyway to skip the uninstall since that program is no longer being used? Would like to have the windows 10 install bypass the non compatible (not used) SW.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. There may be a way but you would need to download the tool to download windows 10 and have it burn it to disk for you that way you can install it from disk instead of installing using windows update.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 That is the link make sure you use the 64 bit version also make sure you have a blank dvd available.

Hello I have not heard from you if everything was successful please let me know so that we may continue. If you don't have further questions please don't forget to leave positive feedback it's how we are compensated for out time and information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Following your instructions downloaded the Media Creation Tool for 64 bit. When opened it offer two options. For this computer of Media for different computer. My first 6 hour attempt using the "For this computer" option suggested by you to avoid needing a registry code for installation. That process left me exactly were I was with the original problem. Error msg for a non compatile program PC Tools Spyware Doctor. In desperation I opened the Media Creation Tool again and chose the other option - media for another computer. This process produced a CD with the program but - it did ask for a registry code which obviously do not have. In order to produce a media there has to be some other alternative to the two presented when opening the Media Creation Tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the second sentence that should read "For this computer or Media for a different computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Here is a link to manually uninstall PC Tools from your machine. Use METHOD 2

http://www.pctools.com/kb/article/unable-to-uninstall-pc-tools-utilities-product-588.html

The install/uninstall method can be used if needed. Here is a product download page:

http://www.pctools.com/kb/article/pc-tools-security-download-links-662.html

Should you encounter other Windows 10 installation issues I can assist with those as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron - - First tried install PC Tool spyware doctor then uninstall from the control panel. When uninstalled in the control panel it dissapeared. Attempted to install windows 10 and ended up with the same resulting error msg. "PCTool Spyware Doctor with antiVirus/Internet Security/Antivirus Free must be uninstalled." Subsequently then tried the regedit process but the under HKEY_CURRENT-USER/softwarePC tools does not appear. Same result under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software. PC tools is not there. Same result with HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE. The only place PC tools appears on my computer is C/Program Files (86) In that folder there are only two folders: DM Scanning (content empty) & PC Tools Security content BDT folder and TG Engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MS should allow some way of skipping incompatible programs on the installation of Windows 10. Just advise the user which programs are incompatible. In this case the program has is no longer supported. PCTools was taken over by Symantech who let it die on the vine in 2013. Would I gain anything by deleting the PC tools folder in the Program Files folder?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Here's what I would try. Re-install PC Tools then go to http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html and download the free version of Revo Uninstaller

The way this program works is it first uses the programs' uninstaller to remove the program then it does a scan of the hard drive looking for

any leftover remnants of the program. Run the uninstall in Advanced mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PC Tools was reinstalled. Revouninstaller was downloaded and used to uninstall PC tools plus the follow-up to find and uninstall any residuals. It found 8 redisuals and they were deleted. At midnight last night started the windows 10 download again. This AM same result - error msg that PC tools spyware doctor with anti virus/Internet Security/anti virus free needs to be uninstalled. I give up! The only thing I can think of is to restore my computer far enough back prior to the original installation of PC tools.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Can I connect to that machine and take a look sometime today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please do.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

OK. Please go here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

On this page click the big green Download-Free for private use button and install the program

Do a typical installation for non-commercial use

After the program is installed, launch it. On the page that opens you will see

Your ID and Password.

Send me those numbers so I can connect to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have downloaded the teamviewer software and have provided the ID and password. Presume that is the ID for gmail and the password.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You don't provide any information to Teamviewer. When you launch the program after installation, on the left side of the page under Allow Remote Control you should see Your ID and Password. Those are the numbers I need to connect to you.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

On that machine, click this link: http://tinyurl.com/RapidSupport

Allow the program to run or make changes when asked

When done a window will open showing the Teamviewer screen with the numbers I need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
450 616 403 pw s896xs
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Connecting now