Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a gateway 4870 and I installed a Radeon video card in

Customer Question

I have a gateway 4870 and I installed a Radeon video card in it and its been working fine. I bought a Geforce 740 SC and when I tried to boot the coputer it started normally then it beeped twice and stuck in the loading screen. It wont even go into bios. I tried clearing cmos and btw I did uninstall the Radeon driver before installation. Im very experienced with computers and built about a dozen computers in the last 10 years but I cant seem to find a solution to this problem. Is a geforce incompatible with the gateway bios. Is there anything you can do to fix this?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, its been quite a while, are you going to answer my question?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i am trying to look it up for you but there are a few gateways with that number and gateway is pretty horrible at telling you exactly what motherboard is in there products. they dont make them they just buy what they can find on the open market.

the only thing that i can see on the card is it requires a specific slot

PCI-E 3.0 16x

and a 400 watt power supply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does, I have a high end corsair 850 watt power supply in this
and the card requires a 2.0 or 3.0 PCI-E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im pretty sure it has one of those
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not old enough to have a pci 1 slot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motherboard in this computer is an acer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

is it possible to put both cards in at once ? I might try that just to see what happened. you might be able to get it going well enough to see what is in the bios

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I doubt that would work , I can get into bios with my old card which i have installed now, im using the coputer with my old card in. but I wanted to use my new card and it wont access bios or boot with it in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the problem is the gateway not the card.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im just trying to figure out if there is a way to fix it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I guess you arent going to be much help, keep the 5 dollars but if you charge the remaining 31 dollars I will reverse it with my bank. Thanks for trying but I should have known that as always I know more about computers then the "experts". I have never had any satisfaction from any tech support. take care.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i have opted out maybe somebody else can help you further.

if you want a refund you can email***@******.***

thanks