Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Thanks 3rd party cannot hear me on Skype

Customer Question

Thanks
My name is John
3rd party cannot hear me on Skype
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

In Skype, can you click on Tools, Options

Click on Audio Settings and click on the Microphone dropbox and select the next option in it.

Start talking and you should see under it the green bars moving. If you do you have the correct Microphone select so the click ok

Else select the following listing till you see the green bars moving and you have the correct microphone selected.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Let me know the results please John

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done this and when I speak the bars move. I did it by skype/preferences/audio/built in mike and same as system
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If the bars are moving, then the sound is recording in Skype else the bar would not move so looks to be an issue with the 3rd party.

If you call Echo, in your contact list which is a test person, can you hear yourself when doing the recording?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been in the i mac system preferences/ sound/ internal mike and watched the bars move as I talk so the mike is working
I have tried echo and that does not work either.
It is not the fault of third party because I have phoned different people in different coun tries and it used to work before
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, your saying Mac System system preferences/ sound/ internal mike, that is not my instructions John, I will repeat my instructions again.

In Skype you do this, not in the mac system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Richard, I cannot find tools in skype
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

When you open Skype, you will see it at the top in the main window to the left of Help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we continue.
There is to the left of help: skype/preferences/ audiovideo/ and there you find the settings for the mike with the bars
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no tools
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, you may have a different release, but then under Audio Video you will see the settings for the Mike with the bars

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

when you see the mike settings, it is there you select the correct one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am there and when I talk no bars move. ( in skype)
The bars only move in the i mac settings are for sound
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, so you need to select the correct Microphone from the list as it is set to the wrong one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the choices are "same as system" and "built in microphone", neither work! ( in ther skype section)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
camera is working by the way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't bother you if it were easy....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear the person I am phoning by the way
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

John, you were not here to begin with so this was your initial issue, you mis read the instructions and were in the wrong part of your computer.

How do you man the built in microphone is not working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I am in skype by the microphone ( as discussed) the bars do not move when I talk. I have phoned people with both settings and they cannot hear me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried both parts of the computer because I got nowhere in skype/preferences etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not ignore your instructions
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have messed things up in the Mac preferences.

Go back to it and tell me what you have now set it to please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
preferences/ audio-visual and then chosen "built in mike". With or without automatic settings, when I speak the bars do not move
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, set it to the webcam.

Does it then move the bars?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no choice for the webcam settings and the video works all the time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whatever I do the bars do not move
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I said before the bars only move in i mac settings/volume
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

John, this is getting very confusing as you keep switching between the two....

My last instructions were

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ill just connect free of charge as I just cant follow your responses and what exactly you are doing.

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download for Free

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may be working now because I signed out of skype and resigned in and now the error bars are moving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is turning out to be expensive just for not switching on and off!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I dont mind connecting as it may be better for you and ill do it at no extra cost.

But first please test by calling Echo and see if you hear yourself or call a friend and test please

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It was not just switching on and off as it was incorrectly set in Skype, else it would have worked the first time,.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
echo test works...........
no i set it correctly but clearly the new settings only worked when I "rebooted" skype
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the settings after finding the answer online, changed the settings and it did not work so I contacted you for help
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, if echo works it is now working for you.

possible skype crashed which stopped it getting audio, but the first thing I needed to check was it was set correctly as this is 99% of the problem.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Andf you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to be unkind and rate you badly because you tried, but I found the solution by rebooting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just noticed that all settings now work so even that is not important. Skype just needed restarting.
anyway thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

come on John, when I asked you to set it in Skype you replied

" have already done this and when I speak the bars move. I did it by skype/preferences/audio/built in mike and same as system"

Yet after this the bars werrnt moving and you reply

I have been in the i mac system preferences/ sound/ internal mike and watched the bars move as I talk so the mike is working I have tried echo and that does not work either. It is not the fault of third party because I have phoned different people in different coun tries and it used to work before

you were not doing the intial instructions

Anyway look, if you do not wish to pay for the service that got this fixed, no need your the customer and can decide this yourself.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

of course the settings are important

You just have two mics

Anyway no need to respond if you do not want to pay for having this fixed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, I am being completely honest with you
I could not do your initial instructions because you told me to go to "tools" in skype and that does not exist
so I went into preferences and no bars moved
I also went into imac settings and the bars always moved
It is not rocket science to go into both areas, it is jus that whatever i did did not work, with or wothout your help.
It nevewr occurred to either of us that the problem lay with having to reboot skype
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but I promise to return if I get a big problem
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

John, as I said if you do not feel you should pay for a service, I am not going to argue with you. Your the customer and you can decide as you see fit if you feel this is the right thing to do.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

.