Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I just received a call from someone claiming to be a

Customer Question

I just received a call from someone claiming to be a Microsoft Technician Supervisor as I was not going to talk to anyone that I could not understand well. They wanted me to access my computer and they would tell me how to take off hacker information that was on my computer. I have been hacked before and was extremely uneasy about whether or not it was real. Do you techs ever instigate a call like that. I was extremely doubtful of everything they told me. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

You did the right thing here. If you receive any call from a service claiming to be Microsoft/Windows (or likewise) and offering to repair your computer or for any other tech services, please IGNORE them - they are not affiliated in any way, but are simply scam artists.

They trick users into allowing them remote access to their PCs and then install their worthless programs and other malware, while charging the users for doing so. Microsoft will never place unsolicited calls to anyone unless their services are specifically requested for.

For further info, please check out the following official support article on this scam:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) a star rating at the top of this page. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The caller had me open my computer by imputting an command - I didn't write it down and I don't remember. But, it had a long list of Link-Sys accesses and over at the far right column it had a list of the way the information was accessed. Some said waiting
and others said that it was answered. I don't know if I am giving you the info you need but I just need to know if I caused myself any further problems by doing even that much. I would not give them access to any additional information or give them the go
ahead to "help me fix" my computer. Can you please reply and tell me what , if anything, I should do to protect myself further. Prior problems have made me change my passwords and user names several times and I am running out of ideas to use for them so that
I can still remember them. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

I see, all right. As long as you did not allow them remote access to your system, that is, they did not actually access and control your screen for a period of time, you should be just safe. Additionally, I'd advise you to download and run a full system scan using the following free security tool, so as to make absolutely sure that your system was not compromised in any way:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/index.html

Also, as long as you did not exchange any financial info with them, things should be all right - no harm done here. Please make sure not to even entertain these types of phishing calls in the future. If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation.