Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My computer started acting up two days ago. It changed the

Customer Question

My computer started acting up two days ago. It changed the backdrop picture and now it says I am not connected to the internet. I have tried for two days to fix it but I am giving up. Probably making it worse. I had trouble approx a month ago and called Microsoft for help. Three people later and two hundred and some dollars later, it was fixed. I am assuming that the money I paid for that good for a year (just guessing). I, of course, can not find my paperwork for any of that work and can't get on my computer to find a number and the invoice I had from that work. The company started with a K. I am losing
it for sure.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Rob and i will do my best to help you.

If you can get into windows at all you can run a system restore which should put it right back to the way it was a few days ago before the problem started. Just make sure that you select the right date. If it wont turn on at all its going to be a lot harder and i probably wont be able to help you till tomorrow. But try just turning it off and unplugging it and waiting a couple of minutes then turning it on again and it might at least boot up to windows.

then do the system restore as below. Make sure to select a date that is before the problems started

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

rstrui.exe

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.