Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a rather old HP 3600n color laser jet printer. reason

Customer Question

I have a rather old HP 3600n color laser jet printer. For some reason it won't print because I get a error message "10.92.00 cartridges not engaged". I have tried taken the ink cartridges out and reset them into position and continue to get the same message. I have tried switching the the cartridges to see what would happen and the printer senses that the cartridges are in the wrong position, but it doesn't indicate that they are not engaged. It simply says the supplies aren't installed. i have a maintenance agreement with Geek Squad for computers. Is the covered under that? Should I bring it in to your Best Buy store in Orland Park Illinois (where I have the agreement, or can this be remedied by me?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome t o Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

First let me clarify that we are not the geek squad nor best buy. If you have a contract with them, then you may want to speak to them about repairing the device.

As far as whats wrong. Inside the machine t here are lever locks, that lock into place when the cartridges are slid in. The error is occuring because one of those plastic lever locks has broken and needs to be replaced. This document, shows you step by step exactly how to replace them.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-413/202280/1/3800lock.doc

Its a long process, but manageable. And the lever locks themselves are very cheap parts. Its mainly just the labor and time thats the issue.

Im telling you this that way you are armed with info before you speak to the geek squad. If they try to tell you that the machine needs to be replaced and they try to sell you a new machine, then they simply dont realize what the issue is. The issue is as I have described above. And it is repairable.

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,
I thought I was in the Geek Squad website. I have already contacted them and I did get the answer you said I would get. I think I have noticed what you are talking about because I have seen one ot these lever locks, hanging down and it is blocking the black cartridge from going in I have tried to hold it up in place before and got the black cartridge to go in properly and it has worked. Now it seems it isn't so I guess I need to contact HP to get the part.Thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I was at lunch, and then I needed to research and find the exact parts you need.

What you can try to do, is use a pencil, or a sturdy ink pen

And if you have found the lock thats broken.. ( probably on the left side )

Stick the pencil in and push the lock back, the pencil will probably be straight up by the time you lever it back to open the lock.

Then, slide the ink cartridge in. When it gets so far down, its going to try to close the lock onto the pencil. Keep sliding the ink catridge down while you remove the pencil.

That should allow you to get the cart in place with the lock in its proper position. While this isnt a permanent fix. It will get you printing until that cartridge runs out of ink.

As far as replacing the locks. The word document I sent you earlier contains a in depth step by step instruction on exactly how to replace the locks. Its a long process, but doable. You just need the locks. You can order them here for 30$ http://amzn.to/1LwWrsi

I doubt HP sells them cheaper, if they even sell them at all. ( Probably around the area of 69.99 from the MSRP) Amazon is about half the usual cost for that part.

If you have further questions or concerns, let me know!

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,
I tried something like that using a oversize paper clip that I straightened. The first time I did it that worked. When I had to replace the cartridge I did it again and got away with it. This time it won't work so I guess I will go to Amazon and order the part.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you'd give MacGuyver a run for his money!

If youve been limping along with the broken locks for a while now, eventually they were going to break to the point that youd have to replace them.

Thankfully, the parts arent very expensive. ( though the repair can take about 1.5 hours if your taking your time and being careful)

Good luck, and if you have further questions your welcome to respond.

Dustin S.