CompDoc
CompDoc, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  I have been in the computer industry for over 20 years. From a PC technician, to network administrator, and a Director.
39833143

After upgrading to Windows 10 this device suddenly is

Customer Question

After upgrading to Windows 10 this device suddenly is write-protected: PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device 64GB: How to remove write protection in Windows 10? All online solutions suggest using Regedit but Regedit in Windows 10 does not have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies. StorageDevice Policies doesn't reside here in Windows 10. So I can't change the WriteProtect configuration or delete it. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

You need to CREATE it in the registry.

How to erase a write-protected USB drive in the Registry using Regedit.exe

In any version of Windows from XP onwards, run Regedit.exe (searching regedit will usually show the program at the top of the list).

Navigate to the following key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\

CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB drive again, and you should find it is no longer write protected. You can now format the drive as normal by right-clicking on it in My Computer and choosing Format.

If you can’t find StorageDevicePolicies, you can try creating a key by right-clicking in the white space in the Control folder and choosing New -> Key and carefully entering the name.

Now double-click on the new key (folder) and right-click once again and choose New -> DWORD. Name it WriteProtect and set its value to 0. Click OK, exit Regedit and reboot your computer.

Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

Name the new key exactly

StorageDevicePolicies

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but the drive is still write-protected so it didn't work. I successfully created a new key in the Registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control named exactly StorageDevicePolicies and added new DWORD WriteProtect with value of 0. I closed regedit and rebooted but that USB drive is still write-protected, so that did not work. I gave you a rating of Excellent because I was able to create the key and add the WriteProtect DWORD. I don't understand why it doesn't work. I can access the data on the drive just not write to it.
Expert:  CompDoc replied 1 year ago.

This is another way to get to the drive so you can write to it.

Removing write-protection using Diskpart

With your USB drive plugged in, launch a command prompt. Do this by searching for cmd.exe in the Start menu (or Start screen in Windows 8). In Windows XP, click Start then Run, and type cmd.exe in the box.

NOTE: you may need to run Cmd.exe with administrator privileges if you see an “access is denied” message.

To do that, right-click on the shortcut and choose Run as administrator. In Windows 8, simply choose Command prompt (admin).

Now, type the following, pressing Enter after each command:

diskpart

list disk

select disk x (where x is the number of your USB flash drive – use the capacity to work out which one it is)

attributes disk clear read only

clean

create partition primary

format fs=fat32 (you can swap fat32 for ntfs if you only need to use the drive with Windows computers)

exit

At least after formatting you can use the drive again.

Here is a whole to do step by step to get your drive back.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-fix-write-protection-errors-on-a-usb-stick/