Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

This afternoon a warning box appeared on my computer screen

Customer Question

This afternoon a warning box appeared on my computer screen indicating I have a very serious Trojan/virus on my computer. The message told me to call a number (sorry I did not jot down the number (1-877 - ????) and whomever would work with me to resolve the problem. I tried to click this box off but it just remained. I decided to shut down the computer and restart my computer so that I could run Windows Defender and a program called CCleaner. When the computer came on the same screen described above came on. I called the number and got a representative from EZ Online Support (supposedly a Keyswood Inc. branch). I listened to what they had to offer me (the whole time I was thinking they must have been approved support from Microsoft). Nevertheless, we went through TeamViewer so they could access my computer. Naturally, there was a price to pay - $400+ (3-year protection) for removing the Trojan. While controlling my computer they showed me that 89% of my files were corrupted. I paid the fee and they fixed whatever problem I had. One puzzling statement they made was for me to talk with Microsoft about this issue. He said Microsoft would not call me, however if I was contacted by Microsoft ignore their inquiry. When I tried to find information about EZ Online Support on the Internet I could not find a homepage for the company. Went to the website of the Better Business Bureau and found they were not accredited by them even though there were no negative complaints filed against this company (there were no positive comments either). I called the company again using the phone number they gave me and talked to a representative. I asked about not finding anything on the Internet about their company and he told me their homepage was down because they are re-doing and upgrading their site. I asked how long before it would be up and he said in about a week. I have a couple questions - 1. Was I taken advantage of? 2. If so, and by having direct access to my computer is my identity protected or could they have added a program like a "keylogger" to tract my passcodes to my annuities. etc. 3. Why would they not want me to talk to you? Any response would be appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What you have encountered is a very common phone scam.

The company who you called, was the same company who made the virus that told you to call them.

In fact this scam is so common that it works in your favor. Call your bank immediately, or your credit card. Let them know you fell victim to an online virus / scam. And challenge that charge. The bank will revers the charge. You will get your 400$ back.

And then its just a matter of making sure that the other company did not install any keyloggers. And also, that you did not give them any of your email or account passwords.

Youre best bet at this point is to do a reset on windows 8.. Wiping out everything. Heres an easy way to do that.

Once you have wiped everything out and reinstalled windows. ( remember, if you want to keep any pictures or files you have saved on the computer. Save them before you reset Windows 8 as described above !!)

As long as you didnt give them any passwords. After you call and dispute the charge, and then run the reset I mentioned.

You will have your money back and also, you will have a clean computer free of whatever programs they attempted to install.

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know~ And also, should you encounter any strange programs or companies asking you for money, passwords or anything else. I invite you to contact us again, a low cost consultation can save a lot of time and heartache~ ( and $$ )

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,I appreciate your response. I am not computer person so wiping out everything using your directions should help. Fortunately, I do not use on-line banking and I did not give them passwords. Hopefully following your directions will help. If I have a question how would I be able to get back to you - do you have a phone number I can use? Thank you
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ive sent an offer for phone support at the lowest price point I cant. We normally charge a bit more for phone support. I assume that you would only need to call in case you had trouble signing in and sending a reply to me here~

Once the offer is accepted, we can trade phone numbers in the private contact info section.

As far as the issues go.. You are welcome to contact me again if you encounter any issues completing the reset I mentioned. ( Its a short and quick process )

And I do hope that you wont hesitate to contact your bank to have that 400$ charge reversed..

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I will give it a try - if I call you now could you walk me through this process, or do you think I should not have a problem doing this since you said it was easy and quick.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

It should be an easy and quick process, theres only a very few steps you need to do.. Outlined below.

With that being said~

Im close to the end of my shift. But I do not mind speaking with you over the phone until my shift ends. ( 24 minutes from now)

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,Thank you again - I will give it a shot.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Youre welcome~ Please remember to click one of the star rating icons and submit it before you go, you can always contact me afterwords!

D.S

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I havent heard from you in a few days. I just wanted to check back and see if the recovery went well?

If it did, please remember to click and submit a rating, as this question still shows as unsolved in my work history.

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Dustin S.