Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming
74139101

How to solve screen flickering Y50 4K Touch. It only happens

Customer Question

How to solve screen flickering Y50 4K Touch. It only happens when power adapter is connected.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
This is a very common problem with the Y50 and it's usually due to a faulty motherboard.
Is yours still under guarantee?
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a sec, verifying ...
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I think the support ended a month ago
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

When did the problem begin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A week ago
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Have you been able to run any tests other than the power adapter?

For example, do you know if the problem happens in safe mode as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the only other test is when unplugged, the computer works fine.
Right now the computer is plugged and the flickering occurs only from time to time, in other occasions it occurs frequently.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Must be really annoying.

Would you like me to connect to your computer via a remote session so I can help you diagnose the problem? Maybe we can save you a few bucks of having to take it into an electronics engineer to fix it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also a computer consultant and an electronics engineer! I am just trying to get an answer from a technician that has experience with this kind of computers. I see you do not have the experience.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I can opt out of your question if you would rather speak to someone else?

Were you able to test it under safe mode as I suggested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we going to get disconnected if I restart the computer and test under safe mode?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Only while your computer is off, you can always get back to me using the link sent to your email by JustAnswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me try. Since the screen is not flickering at the moment I do not know how I am going to accomplish anything. What kind of testing do you want me to do?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Try it plugged and unplugged while in Safe Mode to see if you can get it to flicker, if you can't then it's a software (driver) conflict and you can look for a solution that way

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I can not make it flicker now. I have already tried loosing up the power adapter, plug and unplug it, and the screen refuses to flicker
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may be due to the fact the battery has already charged to the capacity I have set it to stop charging, let me change the battery settings and see if that starts the problem.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok. See if you can get it to flicker in normal mode first then switch to safe mode and try to replicate the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the problem started as soon as I changed the settings and started typing. I will stop typing ansd see if the flickering stops. Then I will restart in safe mode, just a sec.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, problem occurs even wiyhout typing, restarting in safe mode....
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

How did it go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It went very bad. The computer started flickering so bad that was not usable. So I talked to Lenovo Tech Support and they helped me to restart in normal mode, they also sent a new Power adapter. Using the new power adapter does not solve the problem. I also updated the Nvidia drivers to the newest version and I am working using those new drivers now, the flickering is still present. I am going to configure windows to use the Nvidia card for just everything and see if that has any impact.
Any other suggestion?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Why were you stuck in Safe Mode? Did you go into it from msconfig as opposed to the advanced startup settings? msconfig would definitely get you stuck in safe mode!

I think I will opt out of your question as troubleshooting it this way won't get us very far - I could probably fix this for you via a remote session in less than an hour but I am not available to connect tonight.

Let me know if you're interested in the remote session or if you'd prefer me to opt out so you can either request a refund or speak to someone else who may be able to help you via textual instructions - some problems need to be looked at by a professional before changing settings as the problem could become more difficult to fix later.

Good to hear from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you want to opt out it is fine with me. I am not interested in the remote session because there is no warranty the problem will be fixed.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The remote session is guaranteed just like when you post your question, you have 30 days after asking your question to request a refund if you're not happy with the results.

Is that what you are referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let's schedule a remote session, I am busy now, I can accept the offer when we have some time to work together.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, send me a message when you'd like to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Speak to you then!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin, I will not have time for a remote session in the near future. I am going to be very busy in the next three weeks.
It is very sad we have not been able to solve the problem.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Oh that's a shame, I can keep your question open if you'd like to continue in a couple of weeks when you're back if you like, alternatively you can cancel your question using this link:

ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

All the best,