Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a toshiba laptop and i cant get into microsoft.com as

Customer Question

i have a toshiba laptop and i cant get into microsoft.com as i havelost my password ***** is my wifes computer by email address on the toshiba***@******.***. I usually use a pin to open my computer but my son put the wrong pin in and it now asks for a password ***** I cnt find
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted

Do you have another computer which is online a tablet or smartphone. i will walk you through to get the password *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on my wifes compjuter at the present time
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Forgot password

follow these steps on the computer you have access to the internet to reset your windows 8 login, you only have to go to https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx and Microsoft will send you a password ***** link to your alternate email address or to your phone.

Reset Microsoft account password

I suppose this will work just fine in most cases. However, several circumstances exist that can cause this procedure to fail. In my case, the recovery email address I entered when I created the Microsoft account was wrong. This can easily happen because the sign-up form only has one form field for the alternate email address, and Microsoft doesn’t send a confirmation link to the email address. Thus, you can enter any email address and you will only notice that you mistyped the address when you need it for recovering your account. By then, it is already too late, and things will get very complicated.

Verify your identity

Microsoft offers an alternate option for resetting your password ***** you don’t have access to your recovery address. You just have to select I don’t have any of these on the We need to verify your identity page.

We need to verify your identity

On the next page, you have to enter a new contact email address.

Recover your Microsoft account

The lengthy account recovery page that follows prompts you to verify that the account is yours.

Verify that the account is yours

You see now that it is important to enter the correct information when you create the Microsoft account. Aside from personal information, you also have to know things such as email addresses of contacts you’ve recently sent emails to, the corresponding email subjects you used, and email folders you created recently.

Now comes something funny. I tried this procedure several times, and I failed even though I still had access to the account. That is, I could provide all the information because I simply copied it from my Outlook.com inbox. A couple of seconds later, I received an automated email from Microsoft with the crucial sentence:

Unfortunately, we were unable to verify your ownership using the information that was provided.

And when I stubbornly tried it again by entering more detailed information, Microsoft’s recovery program got impatient, and I received an email with the subject “Final update on your account recovery request.”