Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

MY DOWN STAIRS COMPUTER HAS AN IMMENT PROBLEM ON SMART HARD

Customer Question

MY DOWN STAIRS COMPUTER HAS AN IMMENT PROBLEM ON SMART HARD DISC WHAT DO I DO
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (aka, SMART) is a feature built into hard disks to monitor the heath status of the drives and provide the system with a method to detect an impending failure.
If you are receiving a SMART error the first thing to do is back up all the important information on your hard drive. SMART can't tell you exactly when your drive will fail only that it is going to fail.
The hard drive would then need to be replaced. This will be done at no cost to you if still under warranty. If you don't want to replace the hard drive you need not do so right away. The important thing is now that you know the situation to get your data backed up so that you don't lose it when the drive does fail.
If you have some type of external storage such as an external hard drive of a large capacity flash drive I can help you copy your files to it so that you will be protected.
-
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.