Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I am having the exact same problem described in this string

Customer Question

I am having the exact same problem described in this string and have tried all of the suggested fixes with no success.
The error message from Outlook for Mac is;Outlook cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/4tk9f-outlook-mac-three-email-accounts-it.html#ixzz3jZVW8fWn
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Also, the email account you are having Outlook troubles with, is it a gmail.com account, Aol.com, hotmail.com, etc etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac version 10.10.4 and I am using g.mail.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Lets try this repair first

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

While that repair is running. Follow the steps on this page to change your DNS servers to googles DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/434

Once those are changed. Close outlook.. Reopen it. And then try to send or receive mail on your gmail account again. Is it working?

* note that, these are only some of the possible steps which may be needed to fix the issue. Whatever happens, please send a reply so I can assist you further, or so we can mark this issue as "resolved"

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, did all of the above and still cannot send emails. BTW, I can and always have been able to receive new emails, just cant send any. Strange!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Can you verify that you are using googles dns servers on your wireless, or home internet connection?

The 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

If so. Then lets have a look at the actual outgoing server settings you have set inside of outlook, for your gmail account.

If you open outlook, and then click outlook, preferences, accounts.

Or click tools, then click accounts. And you select your gmail account.

Inside the outgoing server section. What is the exact server name, port , and security settings you have set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to verify the DNS numbers on our Cisco wireless router at her home.
The outgoing server identified in outlook is SMTP.Gmail.com
Port is 587
Security is 'none selected'
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The settings for your SMTP are wrong.

The server is correct, it needs to be smtp.gmail.com

The port can be 587, but you have to have authentication checked, and for port 587 you need it set to TLS security

Try those changes, let me know if that helps!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have verified that the SMTP settings are as you indicated above. The port is 587. But, I don't see a TLS security or authentication setting.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

It may have a box you can click inside the outgoing server section for more settings, or advanced settings.

Try that and let me know what you see.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the advanced settings but do not see an TLS Security or authentication box.
There is a digital signing and then an encryption section.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

What do you see inside the encryption section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A box entitled certificate and a box titled encryption algorithm and another box to be checked allowing in crypt outgoing messages.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

In the outgoing server section. You should have two boxes.

More options. And another box for advanced.

On that page, you should also have a checkbox for SSl and over ride default port.

Is that what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, check over ride default port. Check SSl

And then set the port to 465

click on 'more options' under the smtp options and set the Authentication to "Use Incoming Server Info"

And then, try to send a message. Can you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck. Getting the exact same error message.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

It may be necessary for me to connect, and work on the issue directly.

Since this is definitely limited to the smtp server, and maybe outlooks plist files.

I will send an edited offer.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My apologies for the delay in replying, Im way from work today and feeling less then 100%.

Would you like to try and schedule a connection for tomorrow, or later this week?