Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

IE 11 toolbars will not stay in set locations

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i might have to look at that myself to see whats happening. I dont think i ever tried to move the tool bars in the ie. It may just be a bug in the ie where they revert back no matter what you do with them

can you send me a screen shot of which tool bars you are talking about and where you have moved them to?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

on the menu select

view

then tool bars

make sure LOCK TOOLBARS IS NOT CHECKED

after you move them where you want

from the menu

select view

then tool bars

click on LOCK TOOL BARS to make sure it is now checked

not positive that will work. ie seems to have some known issues with moving the tool bars but its the way its supposed to work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't help. Had tried that numerous times. They always rearrange themselves vertically, one toolbar per line, locked or unlocked. Address bar, RoboForm, eBay and google --- in that order, top to bottom.
Tried to include screenshot, but doesn't seem to allow.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i can offer to log in remotely to look at it.

the paper clip should work to attach a screen shot file

or you can post on www.wikisend.com and copy and paste the download url into here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recall that they had this issue with a much earlier IE version, years ago. There was a registry fix, which I have long forgotten, but they later corrected the bug. Some web postings say it is related to screen narrowing when it repositions itself for a narrower window when that happens, then will not revert to proper settings when you go to full screen.
Guess I will just wait for an update correction.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok i will look around for you and get back if i find something

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i wish i could see what you are talking about ?

is it the height of the toolbars that expands again ? that might have to do with the icons not fitting in the height that you have it set for. Microsoft is moving more and more towards the apple view of "dont let people do something stupid" If you make a tool bar so you cant see the icons on it they are going to snap it back so people that did it by accident wont go screaming "my toobar is broken"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not height. The multiple toolbars at the top simply move from two to a line, left to right, to one per line, stacked vertically.Evidently a glitch since win 10, that will probably be eventually fixed. We've taken enough time with it now. Just forget it for now.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

OK. I am just trying to do the best I can for you. I hope you will give me a good rating as that affects my standing on this site

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understand. You tried, but we'll have to just give up and chalk it up as unsolved.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok. like i said. I would appreciate a good rating for the effort other wise i get no credit from the site at all

thank you