Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Windows 10 installed this morning. Get plain blue flashing

Customer Question

Windows 10 installed this morning. Get plain blue flashing screen, Spent hours with Norton, could not fix as cannot enter Config , Result:This is a windows problem, contact microsoft. Because of the flashing screens cannot enter anything on that laptop. Have got Opening screen (beach scene), Signing in screen, accepts correct password ***** immediately the flashing blank screens start. I can see flashes for a fraction of a second sometimes of windows 10 screen and some of my icons from windows 7 desktop in between flashes. I think if we can stop the flashes I would be well on the way to using the system but impossible at present.
This contact with you is made on an old Windows 7 laptop (NOT THE WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP in question) which is a Toshiba solid state, Portege R830. Up to now a perfect little workhorse. Help please.
Alfred Etter,***@******.***, Phone(###) ###-####1563, pw:fredetr4951 Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. On the problematic computer, can you press at the same time the 3 keys Ctrl, Alt, Del on the keyboard, then let me know what you see?
Also, did Norton ask you to press those 3 keys, etc.?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, It used to be that they would answer by email and that is what I was waiting for this time also. On control,Alt,Delete I get the task manager.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,Norton has not asked me to press those keys.

Thank you. That looks good. After pressing at the same time the 3 keys Ctrl, Alt, Del on the problematic computer, then click on Task Manager.

, then click on the option More details at the bottom

, then click on File menu at the top left, then click on the option Run new task

, then type msconfig

, then click OK

, (it may be hard to type, so type quickly msconfig then press Enter key.)

, then click on the Services tab at the top

, then scroll down, then uncheck the boxes in front of the two items: "Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support", and "Windows Error Report Service"

, then click OK

, then restart the computer and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the problem reports and solutions one, and the windows error report one but in the whole of task manager there aren't any boxes to tick or untick. Some tasks are running and some are stopped. Both the ones you mentioned are stopped.
Instead of the square boxes there are circular squigly icons,

OK, please follow my exact steps to uncheck those two items, if they are there, then click OK, and restart the computer, and check. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flashing has stopped. I would like you to continue and guide me to return to windows 7 if that is possible, I have found the file called "Windows.old" that contains all the data from the conversion to windows 10. Is that OK?

Great. Is there any issue using Windows 10? But yes, you can go back to windows 7:

- Click Start (which is the windows logo icon located near the lower left corner of the computer's screen), then click on Settings, then click on Update & security, then click on Recovery option on the left, then select the option to go back to Windows 7 there.

Does that work? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get the answer:"Sorry but you can't go back as that file was removed from the computer" however It is still sitting on my C drive where it has been all the time this week.

I'm sorry, in this case, somehow the recovery process is corrupted. You would need the windows 7 disk or recovery/restore disk, if you have. And/or can you try windows 10 and see how it goes? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the backups from last week done by Norton Ghost, however that doesn't work in Windows 10, nor does My MS Money, Nor does My outlook email, these files are used daily by me and I can't really spend more time on learning windows 10 and finding out what else doesn't work in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other than that I only have the Toshiba recovery boot disc that I made about three years ago

I'm sorry. Usually, before deciding to upgrade to a new Windows version, you should first check if all your programs or devices are compatible with the new windows version or not. Do you mean it does not let you run the Norton Ghost program on Windows 10?

Can you back up your data / files, such as documents, pictures, MS money data files, etc. (basically everything in the Documents and Pictures folders, and/or any other folder where you saved your data to previously), to a USB external hard hard drive, then boot the Toshiba recovery recovery disk to reinstall Windows 7. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 10 won't run Norton ghost, I have the backups sitting on an exterior hard drive, but I don't know how to use the recovery boot disc for the toshiba. There is not a working backup on windows 10 so I can only rely on the windows 7 backups,

To confirm, the problematic computer's brand is Toshiba right? And you made this Toshiba recovery boot disc 3 years ago on the problematic computer right? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. There used to also be a section that would reset the computer back to factory version however I'll bet that is not there anymore.

So clicking on Start -> All apps -> Toshiba / recovery (scroll down), etc. and it's not there, or it does not work.

Make sure you back up your data to an external USB hard drive first, then do the followings:

1. Insert the (first) Toshiba recovery recovery disk to the Toshiba computer.

2. Shut down the Toshiba computer.

3. Turn on the Toshiba computer, then right away, keep tapping the key F12 quickly and repeatedly, then you should get a Boot (startup) menu.

4. Use the up / down arrow keys to select the cd/dvd drive item, then press the Enter key.

5. Then it should prompt, then press Enter key again to boot from cd/dvd drive, and continue to do a factory reset.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried : Start - all Apps - create recovery media - and then it asks for 6 dvd's for which I can probably use an external hard drive

There is no option to do recovery there?

I thought you did create the recovery media (boot disk) previously? But if you did not, then you need 6 DVD disks; I don't think it will let you use an external hard drive for creating recovery media.

After backing up your data, another way to do recovery if it lets you:

1. Make sure the device is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer/tablet. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
  5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
  7. Click Yes to continue.
  8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
  9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What we tried before was a separate section in windows 10 to let you go back to windows seven but it won't let you past first base as it says the windows.old file has been removed. (but it is really there there)

I'm sorry, probably, something got corrupted during the windows 10 installation process, so unfortunately, the feature to go back to windows 7 does not work, so you have to use the recovery media / boot disk in order to get back to windows 7. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try some of the suggestions you just made

OK, please take your time to try my suggestion(s). Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get anything to work at the moment. I have to go and eat dinner and then I will try again. I will leave this computer on so I don't lose you instructions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall do

No problem; please take you time. And you can also see these instructions and to get back to me by clicking on the View Answer link in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet in your email. Thank you.