Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Windows 8 or 8.1 updates.....I have recently purchased a new

Customer Question

windows 8 or 8.1 updates.....I have recently purchased a new desktop computer which has windows 8 or 8.1 on it. I am having trouble with the updates for windows. At various times I have had over 200 updates waiting to be downloaded and installed. Currently I have 48 important and 15 optional waiting to be installed as they have downloaded. I do not allow windows to do the updates automatically as when I have that setting in place to have it done say, overnight, they never install correctly anyway. Once again today I see the message "You're set to automatically install updates" and when I proceed to do so, the entire process takes perhaps 15 minutes and then on restarting, the message comes up...... failed and reverting....(paraphrasing)....
I have been able to pick randomly from time to time and select one or two small files for a long list to be installed...sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I cannot make sense of this or find a setting that will make the updates install all at once. Could this be a Norton Firewall/anti-virus issue?
Is there a major update I need to fix the update functionality?
Looking for answers, or a step by step approach to fix this. Anti virus is current and norton/symantec firewall is in place...
Please don't send me a link......a least cut and paste the steps and confirm whether all can be installed at once or not.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mark ! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

To confirm, you've tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter program at the website below, but it did not work:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Solution 1:

- Please try this first: press at the same time the two keys Windows and X on the keyboard, then click on Command Prompt (Admin), then type:

sfc /scannow

, then press Enter key.
; this will take about 15 to 30 minutes
, then restart the computer, and check updates.

I'll provide more steps. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

scanning has begun...

C prompt came up as C: \windows\system32

in case this makes a difference

That's fine. After it's done scanning, then restart the computer, then check windows update. If it does not work, please try:

Solution 2: this will take long, up to an hour or more

- If that does not work, please close all programs

, then download / install the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Installer program at the website below:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

, then open the program Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One)

, then click on the Repairs tab at the top

, then click on Open Repairs near bottom right

, then check the box in front of the item Restart / Shutdown System When Finished

, then click on Restart System below it

, then click on Start Repairs below

, this takes long, when it's done, it will restart the computer automatically, then check windows updates.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This will take until tomorrow as I have things underway now, including a Bar B Q to prepare and cook. But I wlll proceed as you have indicated

No problem; please take your time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Looks like it is working...it is on repair 5 of 43.....It may stopped when the computer went into sleep mode...???? not sure if I should adjust that during repairs......probably not.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Process is now finished and in the restart the Gateway software is trying a repair.....automatic repair says it can't do an automatic repair and now \i have 2 options shut down which sends me into the same loop....or advanced options ....I will look at the advanced options but I was there once before and had to lose a lot of stuff and start over....

I can try REFRESH YOUR pc OR WAIT FOR YOU....

WILL WAIT A FEW MINUTES.

LOOKS LIKE i CAN SHUT IT DOWN AND BE STUCK LIKE THIS IN THE MORNING AND RE-START THE WHOLE PROCESS OR i CAN CHOOSE TO REFRESH AND NOT LOSE ANY FILES...

\i WILL REFRESH....NOT ...

READ THE INFO ON REFRESH AND DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE DOWNLOADED FILES...

NOT SURE IF i WILL HAVE A CHOICE...

Please try Refresh your PC. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

REFRESH TELLS ME I WILL LOSE FILES...???

mESSAGE IS PROBLEM WITH REFRESHING...NO CHANGES WERE MADE

Refresh does not lose files (only reset). Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i DO NOT HAVE A RESTORE POINT SET AND i HAVE BEEN UP SINCE 5 am...i BELIEVE i CAN SHUT IT DOWN AND PICK THIS UP IN THE MORNING..????

I'm sorry, somehow windows is corrupted. What's the brand/model of the problematic computer?

Do you have the windows / operating system disk or recovery / restore disk?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brand model of the unit: Gateway DX 4870:

I actually have 2 that are exactly the same and one has not been used very much. The problem one is loaded with programming tools and software, and I have most of the backed up work .

Can I create a windows / operating system disk or recovery / restore disk from the same model of computer ?

I realize that I will be losing a lot but don't know if I should just re-start the problem unit or try to use something I can create from the functional one.

Please advise.

click on a Start > All programs > Gateway / recovery, etc. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answer Yes......is for the problem unit or for creating a recovery disk from the functional one....

I am not happy with the attention you are giving to this matter.

Still waiting for you to clarify your answer.....

lousy service, lousy answers and inattentive to problems partly caused by poor advice.

My problem is not having a backup....tech's problem is poor attention and poor advice...I would never recommend this clown to turn on a light switch without supervision.

I'm really sorry, I have something come up; I'm opting out this question, and opening this issue to other techs to help you quickly. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't want to ever hear from you again in any way shape or form.

You are inconsiderate and unprofessional and should never have contact with the public.

Something did come up...my problem with you....it will never happen again.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** would be happy to help you with this if it was not resolved. I dont know what issues you had with the other tech but its tough to give immediate attention at any given time because we have people on remote sessions or phone calls that come first

i can do one of those with you if you like.

or if you just tell me what the situation is now we can work from there anyway that you like

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no thank you...and making excuses for someone else when you are not aware of the details does nothing to give me any confidence with you.

I have resolved the issue myself

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i only know what i saw in the chat up here and did not see anyplace he connected with you directly. If he did so than of course i was wrong about the cause of the problem and would not presume to even hazard a guess let alone make excuses.

If you have resolved your problem through other methods and would like a refund i would be happy to put one in for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No offense intended previously or now.

I have an unlimited plan so the cost is minimal....but patience and time are limited for everyone.

Thanks but the matter is all but resolved.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok i thought that you said you resolved the issue yourself ?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I am leaving for lunch so i will opt out here as i dont want to waste your time yes it certainly is valuable for both of us :)

from what i read at the end

yes you can make recovery disks from the other computer. You could probably make them from this computer. Or boot into the recovery options as before

If you are willing to back up your files and then do a recover to factory condition and then restore all of your backed up files you can do that either way.

you can NOT get a previous restore point back by any method if you have none now. The restore to a previous time depends on incremental changes being tracked at all times. once it is off you can never go back to a previous restore point. You can turn it on again and make restore points going forward but you can never recreate a lost restore point.

have a great day. I am going to opt out and if you want to post a question to me in the future please just put my name in the front of the question.