Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

I am trying to reset my dx4300 back to factory setting. All

Customer Question

I am trying to reset my dx4300 back to factory setting. All I get when I turn it on is a screen telling me to insert a cd and press any key. I do not have an installation disc all i have is the product key on the side of my computer box. As i can't get it into recovery mode what am I supposed to do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. Just to verify everytime you turn your computer on it's asking for a disk? If this is the case tell me word for word what it's saying and is it doing this at a black screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a black screen with instructions that tell me to put my disc in and press any key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried various recovery discs that i made on a second computer and followed all the instructions including changing the start up sequence in f12

OK and does the disk ever load at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. it is on a dvd not a cd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also tried it on a usb drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sometimes it tells me that the disc is not a installation disc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could not get into the recovery mode on this computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think I may have to try a full oem installation disc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this system never came with a disc from gateway . Just a product key on the side on the mini tower

I am guessing you have restarted the computer and attempted to push F11 when you see the gateway logo as well. You would have to push it repeatidly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried it . Didn't work

However there is the possibility that either the partitioning on the hard drive is bad and yes you would need to have the recovery software sent to you to restore it in this case. However if the hard drive has malfunctioned you would need to replace it and run the recovery software from gateway either way. This is what I would advise have gateway send you the recovery software on disk so you can restore your machine and if that fails the hard drive will need to be replaced.

Did I confuse you or you need more information.