Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Have a Gateway DX4870 (ca. 2002) which got a DOS/Rovnix

Customer Question

Have a Gateway DX4870 (ca. 2002) which got a DOS/Rovnix Trojan horse. Could not bring the PC up beyond my password. I used my restore disks which I burned in 2002 and use the Restore OS - save data function. All of my data files are still there, but they all have the aaa extension.
How can I recover them?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

what is the operating system you have on the infected pc.

Try to boot to save mode with networking and let me know if you have tried that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gateway is running Windows7. Don't understand - 'boot to save mode.'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PC is up and running again, but saved files are unreadable because they now have the 'aaa' extension.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

power off the computer wait for 30 seconds keep your finger on the F8 key and turn on the power button and keep tapping the F8 key couple of times, you will see a black screen select safe mode with networking using the arrow key and hit enter. it will load windows.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i am not an expert is file conversion however i can clean your system and make to work again like a normal computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried the 'boot to save' with the F8 key
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

are you in windows screen now?

have you tried to clean the virus.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PC is already working like a normal computer. I have found the saved files but they need conversion. Virus is gone, PC is running on a new HD. The 'old' HD is hooked externally to the PC and that is where the saved files reside. They just need conversion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are not familiar with conversion methods I guess this chat must end.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i will open your question to other experts who can do this as i have no expertise in conversion.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

What program did you use to back them up?