Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

MyHP Envy D6V won't boot into windows. How can I recover my

Customer Question

MyHP Envy D6V won't boot into windows. How can I recover my personal files without losing them.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. On the same screen where you see the Reset - Refresh - Advanced options have you tried going in to Advanced Options and running System Restore?
If none of the Windows recovery options are working the only way to recover your files would be to remove the drive from the laptop and, using a USB-to-SATA adapter, connect the drive to another Windows machine and copy the files off the drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't system restore erase my personal files? I can't afford to erase them.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
It will not. It sets your system files back to a point in time when the machine was operating properly. When System Restore starts you will have the Show More Restore points option available. When selected it will show all your available restore points. Choose a date when your machine was booting normally.
I don't know what kind of error message you receive when starting Windows though?
System restore will not affect your data files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I tried that and there weren't any restore points I could select.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not receiving any error messages. Just a blank screen.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Is the screen going blank after you enter your password? Or does it go blank sooner than that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The notebook tries to boot into windows. I can see the HP logo and a revolving circle of small dots at the bottom of the screen. That normally goes away, the screen goes blank and within a few seconds I can begin to see desktop icons. But now, however, when the screen goes blank it stays blank. HP Technical service had me do an intensive 3 hour test on the hard disk. It passed all criterion checks.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming this is after you have entered your password?
If that's the case, press and hold the Ctrl then Alt the Delete keys and let me know if a windows opens allowing you to start Task Manager
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I never get to the point where I have to enter my password.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I don't suppose you have a Windows 8 DVD handy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never received one from HP with my notebook.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Here's one more thing to try. On the same screen (Advanced Options) where you have the System Restore option try Automatic Repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already tried that. I get a message that no restore points have been created. It gives me a choice to click on system protection to create a restore point but when I click on system protection I get a dialog box saying system protection is available only in online operating system.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Here's the good and bad news. The good is that the drive and your data are OK. The bad is that the drive will need to be removed and your data files copied off. Once that is done and the drive re-installed you can run the Reset and re-install Windows.
-
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea just issue a refund. I won't issue a negative review. Thanks.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I'll take care of it.