Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My sister dell laptop will turn on but not completely come

Customer Question

My sister dell laptop will turn on but not completely come all the way on. Only 2 of the 4 lights in front are kite up. Thank you Austin.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

this is after the windows 10 update ?

you can try these instructions. they give a bunch of ways to try to get to their repair functions where you can either try the repair or going back to your old windows. sometimes it works. but those are about your only chances if it wont even get to windows. sometimes its so screwed up your only option is to use the computer recovery options to wipe everything out and go back to factory specs.

If this is the first time it has started after the upgrade and you have not done so try just restarting the computer. sometimes that straightens it out

otherwise
If you can get the windows 10 desktop

right click on the start button
and select SETTINGS
then accounts and recovery
that should give you repair options you can try

if you cant get anywhere on the desktop but you can get to the sign in screen

at the sign in screen before you log in
there should be a button to restart the computer on the right hand side
if you hold the shift key on the keyboard down while selecting the restart option
it should bring you to a page with some repair options that you can try.

if you can not get the computer to do anything useful at all than you need a boot disk ( actually a flash drive)
you can create the flash drive using the program that you download from this page
make sure that you select the option to create a flash drive for use on other machines

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

you can put that flash drive in the computer and restart it and it should reboot from the flash drive that will give you some repair options you can try including going back to your original operating system or re installing the windows 10 totally

this post shows all of the options that you can use from the windows boot drive including how to make sure that the computer will actually boot from the flash drive

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569556/safe-mode-windows.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not get the windows screen to come on. It only starts and than goes gray nothing else. I have tried f12 for reboot nothing and f2 for the set up it had a clicking sound. Control although. Delete nothing.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

It won't even go into the bios setup? That's not good at all. That should work no matter what Windows is doing. You can try tapping F8 as it turns on and see if you can get to the advanced options to do a factory recovery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have an extra ,20 dollars. I tried pushing the f2 and <F12 F 8 did the same as the others made a clicking sound when I pushed it. I told that in my first statement. I still have the gray screen. I am done screwing around with a gray screen and will have to take it to the repairman. Please credit my 36.00 you told me nothing about the sounds and it still does not work. I am in limited income so I do not think the advice helped . thank you for trying but not ,36.00 worth,
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

dont think i got all of your reply.

my first post had a link to create a win 10 boot disk from another computer ( actually a flash drive) if you can create that and boot from it you might get some more options.

you can try removing the hard drive to see if that gets you into the bios with F2 but you are going to need the hard drive to install or repair anything either way. it may give you a better idea of whether there is something wrong with the computer hardware or just the operating system though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have tried but I am not able to take a hard drive out and the f keys just make clicking sounds when you try to use them. I said all of that in my first note.please wire back my 36.00 and cancel me out. I am going to call someone to take it to be fixed. Please let me know when I will get my money back. This was a waste of both our time. I am sorry I tried to get you to answery question.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i have done my best but there are very limited options in this case. You might even have a hardware problem.

you can email***@******.*** for a refund