Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I am trying to boot my computer with the external hard drive

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to boot my computer with the external hard drive that has a full computer image on it using Backup ez now. So ultimately I can put a new hard drive in the computer and restore it with my backup. The computer won't let me boot to my external hard drive that has the nti backup ez on it
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears something is wrong with windows. All the tests say an error reading a certain portion of Hard drive on the computer not the backup hard drive and when trying to load windows in safe mode it always gets stuck on one particular file and won't load. Also, I don't have the operating system disc or anyother recovery media than the external hard drive with nti backup ez
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,
It is very difficult in many cases to use a backup system in this way.
Please tell me more about what happened to your drive/computer, and what you need to fix. Did you have a hard drive crash, or is your hard drive still functioning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if the hard drive is completely crashed. It says there are 4 bad file records but windows will attempt to load and when you try to load it in safe mode it gets stuck on the same file everytime. The external hard drive with NTI EZ backup said you should be able to boot to it in some sort of linux mode to restore your files including windows. But I can't get it to boot to it all.
Thanks for the information.
You are going to need to properly install Windows, and then (hopefully) get your data if necessary from the external drive.
What is the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a dell Inspiron 580s, I am aware that windows need to be fixed but it seems all built in methods will not work. I know a little bit about computer repair myself just not a ton
I'm sorry to tell you that this NTI backup program, and many that are similar to it, simply do not work as "complete" system backups. The technical reasons for this are numerous, and since it is difficult to "test" a full system backup, many are running with one that is corrupt in some way.
This is why I was saying earlier , that you will VERY likely need to do this properly via re-installing Windows. Has your primary hard drive been reformatted or replaced? Is that the reason, or is there another reason, why you are trying to recover using the NTI backup?