Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have had my home computer serviced several times and

Customer Question

I have had my home computer serviced several times and recently the screen was black and gave a message to activate windows. The people who repaired it installed windows 10 beta and said I could update it in August. I downloaded the update but it requires an activation code which I don't have. The windows 10 says evaluation copy build 10074 in the lower right corner. What can I do to proceed with the update? Thank you very much, Ed
PS the computer service company I used is no longer in business.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Please let me know the make and model of your computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Compac dc7900
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

please let me know that before the windows 10 upgrade what was the operating system on the computer

windows 7 or 8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

windows 10 beta version is just sort of a free trial of windows 10 and once the full release of windows 10 is launched you need to upgrade to windows 10

Windows 10 would not ask for activation key if upgraded from a genuine licensed version of windows 7 or 8

i am not sure whether the computer firm which you contacted earlier upgraded the existing operating system to windows 10 beta or did a fresh install of windows 10 beta

in the first case of an upgrade, you would have currently not got stuck on the activation screen as that would have been done automatically

i presume that they did the latter one - a clean install of windows 10 beta due to which now when you have upgraded to full version its asking for activation which would mean buying a license of windows 10

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

the workaround possible in this case to rollback to windows 7 with the windows 7 disc or recovery disc whichever you have and then run a full upgrade of windows 10 directly rather that installing a beta version first

let me know if you have the windows 7 disc or recovery disc with you so that i may suggest further