matthewgill
matthewgill, Computer Scientist
Experience:  I have a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Integrated Science & Technology, as well as prior military experience.
74898053

Can you help with the following: The trust relationship

Customer Question

can you help with the following: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  matthewgill replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help!

The error you are experiencing is the result of the domain controllers being unable to verify your device's domain membership (trust) quick enough. This may be because the device has been removed from the domain on the domain controller, or possibly there is some network lag. Regardless, because the domain controller does not respond quick enough the check times out and fails

This can be verified by examining the Computers OU (or another OU if the computer objects have been custom sorted) for your computer's name.

A domain administrator can remedy this error by either attempting an objective refresh on the computer object on via 'Users and Computers', or ADAC, or by Unjoining and then rejoining your computer to the domain. This will effectively recreate the computer object on the domain controllers.

There is also a small chance that if your closest domain controller (logically speaking) is a tree DC in a large forest you may experience this error because domain replication has not successfully completed.

Essentially, the data might not be up-to-date on all domain controllers, thus the error.

There is little that can be done on the end-point client device ie, your computer. An administrator will need to either refresh the object on the domain controllers, or try and unjoin and rejoin the machine to the domain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I used Justanswer the Tech walk me through to solving my problem. Everything you answered here is what I already read on google.

I understand your frustration; however, the information required to solve your problem are username and passwords that we don't know. Active Directory (the Domain) is centralized into Domain Controllers. Only Domain Admins are able to configure settings on them.

If you are a Domain Admin with credentials I can walk you through unjoining and rejoining the domain; however, if you aren't then either it will not work, or it will orphan you machine off of the domain

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know about the unjoining and rejoining but the reason I am hesitant to try it is because it says after joining a different workgroup to unjoin i must shutdown/ restart and sign in as a local administrator to do the rejoin and I am not sure what the sign on is going to look like and if the user and password ***** the administrator will work

Your hesitation is well founded. You could lock yourself out of your system. If there is a System Administrator with correct credentials available they can help; unfortunately, without the credentials I can't fix this problem. All I can do is tell you how to fix it.

Are you still having trouble with this situation? Or, have you consulted with a local Domain Administrator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really?? Really?? 6 days later?
Thank you so very much

I'm sorry if you took offense to the time lag of communication. The ticket was still open, and I have no additional information from you. If a Domain Administrator is available to supply credentials then the problem may be resolved. I was just unaware if it had been resolved yet. Sometimes Sysadmins are very busy.